twenty two

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

'stupid group project'

SUNDAY MORNING ROLLED AROUND WITH Lucy and Imogen groggily awaking at the sound of an incessantly loud, annoying ringtone that pierced through their blissful sleep

SUNDAY MORNING ROLLED AROUND WITH Lucy and Imogen groggily awaking at the sound of an incessantly loud, annoying ringtone that pierced through their blissful sleep. Lucy shot up, heart beating fast, and frantically tried to untangle herself out of the comforter. She only managed to entwine herself further and fell to the floor with a harsh thump, dragging the entire blanket off the bed. She groaned.

"Ow." Lucy muttered, blinking drearily. Her left side faintly throbbed in pain.

"Smfjisjmm–" Imogen groggily let out, burying her face into a pillow.

Lucy stumbled to her feet, comforter pooling around her, and felt around for her charging phone. Repeatedly blinking to remove the sleepy haze from her eyes, she finally felt the cool surface of her phone and brought it to her ear.

"Hello?" She mumbled, letting out a yawn.

"Gramps wants to know what time you're coming home." The familiar drawling voice of her cousin greeted her.

"What – um..." The brunette blinked again, becoming more alert.

"It's ten o'clock." Quil answered her unspoken question. "He's going over to Billy's, but I thought you might want to go with him because Jake has the stuff for your car."

Lucy let the words sink in for a moment. Yawning again, she replied, "yeah – good idea." Her eyes flickered over to her sleeping friend. "I'll be about twenty minutes. Will you be ready?"

"I'll tell him." He informed her. "And no – I'm not coming. I've got patrol now."

"Oh." She muttered vaguely, thoughts consuming her. Her cousin wouldn't be present, and therefore there would be no buffer between her and Jacob – no one to fill the silence, or initiate conversation.

No one to dispel awkwardness.

Lucy hung up shortly after, pointedly reminding her cousin to check on the Clearwater siblings for her. Stretching her arms and gathering her long, tangled strands of hair into an awful bun, the teenager made the dreadful decision to awaken her friend.

"Imogen." She called, pushing on the girl's shoulder softly. No response. "Im." She tried again, shaking her harder. When she didn't budge, Lucy sighed and extracted the pillow covering her face, nudging her again.

After a few minutes of trying, the blonde girl's eyes snapped open, almost immediately shuttering into a terrifying glare. Her face itself was drawn in hard lines of irritation; a scowl prominent.

"I have to go." Lucy hurriedly spoke before the blonde girl could, knowing a hurricane of curse words were awaiting her. "Gramps wants me to take him to the Black's."