sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

'puzzle is solved'

DISBELIEF DID NOTHING TO DESCRIBE how Lucy Richardson felt

Neither did shock. Or hysteria. Or numbness.

She felt all of these at once, and so much more. But she couldn't... grasp onto them, and they fluttered around like hawks, screeching and riotous in her flailing mind.

Lucy couldn't... feel anything at that moment.

She was numb.

Her eyes were opened, she knew. She saw flashes of her surroundings, but mostly it was tunnel vision. Straight ahead. In front of her.

At the wolves.

Her brain was in overdrive. She hadn't blinked. She hadn't hit her head. She saw it. She... saw... she saw...

What did she see? The girl didn't know. She didn't know how to even... start processing. How to comprehend what her eyes told her.

Seth, there – before her, a human figure – then, fur, and teeth – a wolf. Leah; human... and then wolf?

No.

Impossible didn't even scratch the surface – it was unimaginable.

No.

Impossible.

No.

But... but she saw something.

It was impossible.

But then where were Leah and Seth?

It was impossible.

Someone was talking to her, touching her, shaking her. Her ears were ringing, and it was like she was underwater. She couldn't feel anything, couldn't make sense of anything.

The wolves were gone.

She didn't know where, didn't see them go, but they were gone. She was numb. Body in a state of paralysis. Mind in shock.

She hadn't blink. She hadn't hit her head.

Not in control of her body, she was forcefully turned around. Her grandfather was staring at her. He looked concerned. His mouth was moving. She couldn't hear.

Someone else was with her now. Her right arm was lifted, and something sticky was applied to it. Her aunt appeared before her, replacing the elderly man. She looked shaken.

The blood was draining from her face, and a thousand needles pierced her skin. What she saw... was impossible... should be impossible. It wasn't conceivable. It defied every law of science, every logical sense. But... she saw it. She saw it.