seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

'conflicted'

LUCY RICHARDSON THOUGHT IT WAS comical how quickly life changed; how quickly her reality had shifted into an unimaginable mess

LUCY RICHARDSON THOUGHT IT WAS comical how quickly life changed; how quickly her reality had shifted into an unimaginable mess. It had only taken one second for everything she knew to be eradicated, leaving behind an entirely new mindset. Harry Clearwater died, and then her friends transformed into wolves and suddenly, the Quileute legends were true. Apparently, this was her normal now.

"So..." She was saying to Quil a couple of days later, after a fitful sleep. "You're not doing drugs?"

Her family had been cramming information into her head the past few days – smothering knowledge and pounding it into her skull. It was impossible to sleep, in light of everything. Her cousin was a shapeshifter, and so was Leah. And Seth. And apparently, the junkie squad.

She supposed she should start calling them pack, or something more fitting.

Strangely, the information, after being sorted through multiple times, analysed and scrutinised, wasn't too hard for the girl to accept. It was mind-boggling, naturally, but in her opinion, adjusted well with her. Lucy had always been logical; a see-it-to-believe-it type, and she had seen it. There was no reason for denial.

Quil choked on his orange juice, surprised laughter spluttering from his. "No!"

"Oh, okay." She responded sarcastically, massaging her temples. "You're just a normal teenage boy who suddenly, for no reason at all, grew a foot and expanded twice your size, and turned into a wolf."

He laughed again, gesturing to himself. "This is au naturel, don't be jealous."

The girl raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Right."

"Fine," He chuckled, leaning back on his chair at the kitchen table. "I grew a lot because of the transformation. We all did."

Instantly, a frown appeared on her face. "Leah didn't – neither did Seth."

"Yeah, well, they're different." Quil shrugged nonchalantly. "It was a surprise for everyone that they phased when they did, especially Leah." He peered closely at her. "There has never been a female shifter before, to our knowledge. We didn't even know it was possible, until her."

It was Lucy's turn to shrug, but a warm glow of pride burned in her chest. "Leah's tough; she's full of fire. If I had to pick anyone to be some crazy wolf-transformer, it'd be her."

"Not me?" He frowned mockingly.

"Definitely not." She replied, smiling cheekily at the male. Her cousin – carefree but brimming with sarcasm – was probably the last person she'd suspect was a crazy wolf-transformer.

Apparently, her judgement was way off.

"Hey, um," She hesitated for a moment, concern potent on her tongue. "Are they doing okay?"