Chapter Thirteen...

"So you're seriously telling me Jia is one of us? How is that even possible?" Mammon asked. They were in the study where Lucifer was pacing slowly. Belphegor watched with a bemused expression as his brother worked on wearing a trail in the expensive carpet. Jia had barely been able to concentrate through the rest of the day. She bounced anxiously from foot to foot, her nerves coiled tight in her stomach.

"I'm not sure. I don't even know if it's right, but my gut says it's true," Lucifer was saying as he walked.

"I know how we can find out," Jia said softly. All three of them turned to look at her. "Vampires don't bite Demons." Their eyes widened. Lucifer stopped in his tracks and Mammon shook his head immediately.

"Absolutely not. Vampires as young as Evan are dangerous to everyone. He'll tear you apart as soon as he gets near you." His movements were so sharp that his silvery hair fell into his eyes.

"Mammon's right. Evan is way too much of a risk to let you near him," Bell agreed. "And that Vampire in the alley was going to bite you."

"I actually agree with Jia." Lucifer's words were soft.

"You what? Are you insane? You're meant to be the sensible one!" Mammon looked at his older brother in utter disbelief. "If she dies it's on you," he growled. Lucifer stopped his pacing and clasped his hands behind his back.

"We won't go yet, he's too unstable. I say we wait a while and then try him around you and see how he reacts. It's likely that any demon blood you do have is diluted by your other origins so he may still feel the urge to attack you like the Vampires in the alley. It'll be dangerous even if we leave it a while, but if you want to do it then I'll make sure he doesn't hurt you. Does that sound alright?"

"It does," she nodded. "If it's possible I'd like to see him soon."

"We'll have to monitor him and see how he copes before making that decision." She nodded again, respecting Lucifer's wishes despite her desire to see Evan. "There is one good thing to come out of this," he said, a faint smile on his face. "If you're one of us we might be able to help you get some of your memories back."

"You could?" She felt her eyebrows creep upwards. She wanted more than anything to remember her past and fill the empty hole she always felt was inside her. "You really think so?"

"Yes. It's invasive and you'll have a headache for a few days but I can certainly try. If you're one of us it will work well enough, but it might not give you everything."

"Anything is better than nothing at all. When can we start?"

"In theory we could do it immediately. But if you're not a Demon it won't work and it will hurt. It might even leave you unconscious for several days." Bell and Mammon exchanged concerned looks.

"The sooner the better," Jia said, squaring her shoulders. Lucifer's head tilted, impressed by her fearlessness.

"Alright then. If you'd like we can try right now. If I can gather enough information we may not need to try taking you to Evan." She nodded her consent. "Very well. Mammon, Bell, this will leave the two of us unable to attend classes tomorrow regardless of how well it goes. It's up to you two to organise the students and keep them in line. Can you do that?"

"I can," Bell agreed. "I'll head to bed extra early so I don't sleep in."

"I dunno, Luce," Mammon hesitated. "I have a hard time getting the others to respect me as it is. Without you there they'll run rings round me."

"If you need to reveal your true form to command their respect, do it. Stick together and the pair of you will be fine." Mammon hesitated, but nodded. Bell excused himself and the silver-haired demon cast a glance back at Jia, his amber eyes worried.