Fifth year- Part 1

27th September 1975:

It is a Saturday afternoon, and I am sitting with Alice and Mary near the lake, enjoying the sun. I feel bad for not sitting with Sev, but I haven't spent much time with the girls lately. 

"Ooooh, Alice," Mary says, elbowing Alice in the ribs.

Alice seems unable to contain her smile. "Guys, shut up," she says half-heartedly, trying to seem serious, although her eyes keep darting over to where Frank Longbottom sits. 

They would make such a cute couple. 

"Alice and Frank, sitting on a broom," Mary sings, and Alice hurriedly shushes her as people start to look our way. 

Mary and I collapse into giggles, and Alice soon joins in, but only after checking that Frank is unaware of our conversation.

We fall into a comfortable silence for a while, and my eyes go to the "marauders", as they now call themselves. James is showing off with the snitch, Remus is studying, and Sirius seems to be teasing Peter about something. 

Then, all of a sudden, they get up, and make their way over to Sev, who is sitting by himself next to a tree. 

"Oy, Snivellus," James calls, an Sev looks up, annoyed. 

But I see the hint of fear on his face. 

"What do you want, Potter?" Sev asks, trying to sound tough and clutching his wand tightly. 

"Expelliarmus!" James shouts, disarming Sev. 

Sev looks helpless. 

"Impedimenta!" James yells again, and Sev struggles on the ground, obviously angry now. 

He starts to shout curses and hexes back at James, who simply smiles and flicks his wand. Sev's mouth starts to fill with soap and he gags, a plea for help in his eyes. I've had enough of this arrogant toerag now.

"Stop it, Potter," I yell, and he looks in my direction, his smirk fading slightly as he sees the frustration in my features. 

He looks almost... scared.

"Leave him alone," I command, trying to look as angry as I feel as I walk towards him. 

I start to scold him, and he just stares at me in shock, as if he can't believe that someone would have the nerve to stand up to him like this. What I don't notice is Sev reaching for his wand again. 

"Sectumsempra!" he shouts, aiming ta James, who gets hit right in the face. 

"Oh Snivellus, you never learn, do you?" James taunts as Sev's feet start to leave the ground and his body starts to rotate upside down. 

"Release him, Potter," I beg, and he once again looks at me thoughtfully. 

"Need your friend to stand up for you, do you Snivellus?" James says maliciously, a hit of jealously in his tone. 

"No!" Sev exclaims. "I don't need help from filthy little mudbloods like her!"

I gasp in shock, before turning and walking away.

A/N: Hi! I've been waiting to write this scene for a while, as it signifies the end of Snape's and Lily's friendship... did I do a good job or not?

Lots of love

Saf xx