Third year- Part 2

30th January 1974:

"Happy birthday Lily!" Sev exclaims as I walk outside the Gryffindor common room with Alice and Mary. 

"Thank you Sev," I say, hugging him.

"Here's your present," he says brightly, producing a small parcel.

He beams at me as I open it, and I feel the weight of people's stares on me. Finally, I the wrapping paper is off and I am holding a tiny box. I open it and gasp.

"Oh Sev," I whisper, embracing him tightly again.

"Lily- can't- breathe," he chokes out, and I release him, grinning. 

"So, I assume you like it then?" he asks, straightening his robes, which slipped a bit due to the force of my hug. 

"I love it, thank you Sev," I say, carefully taking the necklace out of its box. 

I put it on immediately, admiring it. Hanging on the metal chain is a flower. A lily. 

*****************************************************************************

"I heard that it's your birthday, Evans," James says to me as I sit down for breakfast. 

I roll my eyes. "Wow, you are capable of actually retaining information? Incredible," I say dryly, hoping that he takes he hint. 

"No need to be so harsh, Evans. Look, I got you a present." He motions to Sirius, who produces a bottle of shampoo.

"You can give it to Snivellus, maybe he would smell a little better then," James smirks, and Sirius laughs behind him. 

"Get lost, you arrogant toerag, Potter," I say, getting up from the table.

I walk out of the Great Hall.

*****************************************************************************

8th April 1974:

"Have you ever heard of a razor?" Ken Baltor, a 7th year, asks Remus condescendingly. 

Everyone laughs.

"You might need one for that beard of yours," he continues, milking all the attention. 

I am just about to open my mouth and defend him, when someone steps forward. 

"Shut up, Baltor. You're just jealous that Remus can actually grow a beard. I mean, look at your sorry excuse for facial hair!" James smirks, and everyone whoops. 

Ken seems stunned as James drags Remus away, pushing through the crowd. I watch them go, stunned, overwhelmed by the urge to follow them. So, I do. They go into an empty classroom, and I stand outside. 

"Relax, Remus, no one knows," James says soothingly. 

I lean against the door, straining to hear Remus' reply. It seems that they didn't shut it properly, and it opens as I put me weight against it, exposing me to the two boys. 

"Lily!" Remus exclaims, evidently shocked. 

James crosses the room to me in a couple of quick strides.

"What did you hear?" he demands in a low voice.

My eyes widen. "Nothing of consequence," I say, trying not to stutter. "But, I saw Remus sneaking out a few months ago..."

They look at me expectantly. 

"And I followed him," I say, blushing. 

"So, you know?" Remus asks quietly.

I nod sheepishly.

"You tell no one, you understand," James says aggressively, pointing at me sharply. 

"If I was going to tell anyone, don't you think I would have by now?" I say, matching his aggressive tone.

I walk out.

James is still an idiot, but if he defends his friends so fiercely, maybe he does have some good qualities after all...

A/N: What do you think of this chapter? Was it ok? James is still a good person at heart, and is protective of his friends, so I wanted to show that. 

Lots of love

Saf xx