Chapter 21

Liz's POV

Jack showed up at my door with a bleeding lip, briefcase, and a loose tie. Whenever he has a briefcase, it means he has a case or was working on a case and it doesn't look like it ended too well. I let him in because I didn't even know what to ask. I took the first aid kit out of the kitchen cupboard and put it in front of him, he is a big boy that can dress up his wounds if he can get himself in a fight.

"Should I even ask what happened?" I asked.

"I settled it, you should expect your divorce papers, signed by the end of this week," he replied removing his tie.

"What did you do Jack?"

"I just showed that son of a b*tch not to mess with my sister," he said proudly.

"What?" I said grabbing my car keys and heading out the door leaving him in my kitchen. I drove as fast to my used to be my house. I didn't even bother to knock or ring the bell. I found Evan sitting in the living room, with a plastered eyebrow and a bruised cheek.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I ran my hand on his bruised cheek. He kissed the palm of my hand, that's when I pulled my hand back.
What am I doing? How did I even get here? I asked myself silently.

"I am alright Liz. It was just a small fight," he replied.

"Okay, good," I said not knowing what exactly what to say or why I was even here. He got in a fight with my brother and he was the one I was more worried about than my own family. I hated myself that I still care about him and that I still have feelings for him even after what happened.

"I signed the papers Liz." he said putting the envelope in my hand and continued, "I have hurt you enough Liz, not anymore. You deserve so much better you deserve the best and I am letting you go and hopefully, you find your happiness. I decided not to sign the divorce papers because I did not want to lose you, but what I didn't know is that I lost you a long time ago. I have been so selfish but you still stayed, you were right there and I didn't even feel the distance growing between you and I." he said

He stopped for a while before removing his wedding ring and putting it in my hand. "In the papers, you made me keep everything, even though I don't deserve it. You get to keep that ring, you can throw it away or donate it, your call, but just take it. I know you did it because of Laura and I am grateful that you are that considerate. You can see Laura whenever you want to, and she is allowed to stay with you from time to time if she wants. Thank you for loving my daughter and for loving me. I know it doesn't mean much or make up for the pain I have caused you, but I am sorry. Take care Liz, I love you." he said, kissed my forehead, and went up the stairs slowly.

I looked at him walking away and looked at the ring in my hand A tear rolled down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. I looked at the picture taken at Laura's 12th birthday of all three of us. It was a beautiful picture during those happier times so I decided to take it with me. I got into my car and drove back to the beach house. I saw Erastus' car parked outside and I did not like it one bit. I thought I would just walk past my brother and go to my room after I got home but no, Erastus just had to show up. I don't understand my family sometimes, because whenever I am in trouble or they can't get through to me or I am not picking up they call Erastus as if he is the only one who can handle me.
Not that I need to be handled.

I threw the file with the divorce papers in at Jack and told him I got what he went looking for.
"You went to check how much damage I did on the other side?" he asked smirking.
"Oh shut up Jack. Was that necessary?" I asked.

"Oh yes, it was necessary. I am going to let some prick hurt with my little sister and get away with it. Why are making such a big deal out of this?" he asked.