Rays of the Sun: The Beginning

It was winter. 

Footprints were carved on the snow as she kept on walking away from the smell of blood, walking towards nowhere.

She looked back and saw the trails of blood behind her. 

Who's blood is this?

She then looked at her small hands.

Despite the cold winter and the snow falling from the sky, she wasn't trembling from the cold. The child noticed the cloth wrapped around her and pulled it in front for her to see.

It was a tattered haori bigger than her size, old and worn out. Blue flowers were embroidered in it among the stains of blood which easily caught her eyes. 

Her eyes stayed there as she kept thinking why she was wearing it.

Where it was from?

Who gave it to her?

Her mind slowly became clouded the more she tried to remember the details.

The voice of a woman who kept calling her name started to fade away and her mind was now starting to go blank.

Miyuki...

That was the last thing she remember before the voice faded away. The name that the woman kept calling...whom the voice was calling...until...

She can't remember anymore who called her.

Suddenly, something crept in the woods which made her startled.

Behind the tall dark trees, against the white snow, the child can make out a shadow of a man in the dark. A man with plum-red colored eyes.

It startled her.

She ran out of instincts but slipped after she stepped on a huge pile of snow that covered the edge of the cliff.

She fell 35 meters down to the snow-covered ground and fell unconscious out from exhaustion.

"The demon was gone, Oyakata-sama. Two people were dead, husband and wife." 

The man whom he called "Oyakata-sama" walked towards a huge pile snow that was visible at a distance.

Others would just suspect it as a rock covered in snow but to him, he was sure it was a person buried instead. 

"Oyakata-sama?" The man followed. 

Ubuyashiki Kagaya crouched down and began digging the snow up with his hands.

He sighed in relief after it revealed a little girl, alive. A girl who almost looked like the snow if not only from her clothes which are covered with blood.

"A child. She could be the family's child. However, I can sense demon blood on her." The man beside him muttered. 

"Indeed. And yet she's still human..." Oyakata-sama replied.

It was already dawn.

The sunlight started to creep from the skies, bringing an end to the night sky and the stench of blood just now. 

A ray of light hits the girl's face and she slowly opened her eyes after feeling it. 

She never hated the sun nor is she comfortable with it, but this time, it felt like peace as she saw the light shined through her eyes, and a silhouette of a man in front of her. 

It was a different feeling from the man she sensed from earlier.

This one was peaceful.

"You're injured." Oyakata-sama said.

The girl kept lying in the snow, her head watching the people in front of her.

The one who talked to her has kind eyes with soothing voice, the other one was a tall man, blind and with tears coming from his eyes.

"Your eyes...they're not red." She said calmly, remembering the man she saw from earlier.

The sun has now fully risen and was shining down at them.

"Have you seen the demon who attacked your family?" The other man asked.

The girl stared at him for a moment with wonder.

"Family?" She asked innocently.

The girl did not remember anything. Anything about her family nor what happened.

"Does your head hurt? You're bleeding..." Oyakata-sama continued while wiping the blood from her neck but was surprised to see that there was no trace of wound.

Just one look at her, Oyakata knew that the child was different.

"What's your name?" He asked, slowly supporting the child and checked to see if she has other injuries. 

The girl tried to think about the man's question. 

Her name?

What was her name?

She then recalled something out of nowhere which immediately became her answer. It was vague, but she felt like she was sure of it.

"Miyuki." She replied. 

"Miyuki. What a wonderful name." The Oyakata-sama smiled gently.

"Miyuki, do you remember your family?" 

Miyuki was in a daze.

"I-I don't know. I don't..." She stammered confusedly.

"What's a family?"

Oyakata stopped and stared at the girl. He noticed the wound on her neck which has slowly turned into a scar, though there's still evident blood from it. It smelled like demon blood.

It was obvious that the one who gave her the scar have tried to inject her with demon blood. But somehow...she's still human.

There's only one demon who would do this.

Kibutsuji Muzan.

"Gyomei, I'm taking her with us."

"Miyuki, we're now your new family." Oyakata said with a smile as he stood up and reached his hand towards the girl.

The girl didn't know what was happening but she chose to grab his hand instead. Against her cold skin, the man's hand were warm.

For her, the man was the perfect picture of sunlight.

----------------------
Taisho secret!

*Miyuki was found by Oyakata-sama when she was 8 (almost 9). Oyakata-sama was 14 and Himejima Gyomei was 18 (was about to become a pillar).