V.now you know

It has been a month and a half since Mari worked for the Kanes. Jude told himself that this time, he needs to fire the girl. No more excuses.

Why? He told himself she can only be here for one month. He had extended her stay long enough.

Out of all the companions Charles Kane has hired for his blind older brother, Mari Milch has been the longest one to stay here, to which Charles was amused.

But no more, thought Jude. This Milch girl needs to get out. These past few weeks, he has been telling himself every night that tomorrow during breakfast or even dinner, he'll fire her, but he can't seem to open his mouth.

Jude is unsure of the reason. No way would he grow attached to the girl. This is not some sort of sappy fairytale. One can't just fall in love with just a span of a few days, or even weeks.

Hell, he doesn't even believe in love at first sight, even back then when he used to have his sight. What more now with his absence of vision?

Jude was all alone in his bed-chamber, living the life of a hermit while his companion Mari was presumably busy cleaning downstairs as usual.

When she is not needed, she busies herself downstairs for she figures it would be tad awkward to stand or sit next to him, when she knew he could feel her looking at him, but oftentimes, she looks at the floor, memorizing the lines of the wood.

Arching his brow, the instant the sound of the door opening registered in his mind, Jude knew his new company was not Mari.

With his loud footfalls and expensive cologne, he could tell it's Charles, his charming younger brother.

He heard his brother walking towards him. Jude nodded and crossed his legs. He could feel his brother staring at him, studying him.

It's been a month and a half since Charles last visited him. And that was after Jude angrily roared and fired the woman before Mari.

Charles was, to say the least, pretty much pissed, for he is running out of companions to hire. And some agencies had been declining his offers due to the numerous complaints from the fired women.

"Looking good, brother," greeted Charles with that surly voice of his, standing just a feet away from him, his back against the wall, his arms crossed.

"I wish I could say the same, Charles but of course, who am I kidding, you're a handsome fella through and through," uttered Jude, sardonically arching his brow.

Charles grinned, his teeth flashing, his dimples appearing. "Oh, how I do love your humor, my dear brother,"

"And how I hate this meddling of yours, my dear brother," replied Jude.

There was silence after that. Charles walked around the room, impressed that he now had a space to walk around since every time he was here, the room was always dirty. Always.

"What were you thinking? Sending me this...this girl who's barely a woman here all alone," roared Jude brows knitting.

"Why? Don't you like Mari?" a massive grin is still plastered in that handsome face of his.

Jude chose not to comment on his brother addressing her by her Christian name. Perhaps they have gotten familiar with each other, like how all the girls and women from the London society had been to. His brother has always been like that. Yet, he couldn't say that seems about right this time.

"Charles, for fuck's sake. Really, how old is she? Isn't she too young to even be here?" Frustrated, he ran his fingers through his jet-black hair.

He may be a certified hermit and a laughingstock of the society, but by God, he would not dare worsen his reputation by getting accompanied by a young girl. That would be a scandal.