VI.Satan's apprentice

All Jude could ever think about for the next few days was Mari, the mental image of her soaring through his mind, and it was all Charles's fault.

Why does his great brother even find the need to describe what the deuce the young girl looks like? He has too much on his plate already.

Jude was disturbed in his reflections when he heard Mari's faint footfalls approaching him, her scent prowling towards him yet he pretended not to feel her presence.

Truth is, Jude is frustrated with himself. He has no room for nonsense sugar coating so there it is: Jude Kane is hideous and blind yet why the devil can't take this sweet girl out of his mind.

Unquestionably, he has no time for such things as this, whatever this is. This girl was supposed to flee two weeks ago and here she still is, serving him lunch.

"I've prepared mushroom soup, bread, and steak today, Master," pronounced Mari with that chirpy voice of hers that he can't seem to get enough of. That chirpiness that he should've loathed, but instead, found himself seeking every day.

Jude felt her fetch the footstool, sitting beside him as she arranged his meal on the nightstand that they used as a table for his feasts. He, meanwhile, remained sitting, eyes in front.

Usually, Mari vacates the chamber after serving Jude his meal since she comprehends his refusal to dine in her presence. Yet today, she dwelled here with him, possibly, scheming on gaping down at him as he devoured the food?

Swiftly, such a notion provoked Jude to stiffen for he is mortified by how he clumsily eats. Ever since he lost his sight, he became incompetent in dining, constantly knocking down the glass of water or the utensils.

He was astounded and his pride grated when his ears picked up the phrases, "The mushroom soup's hot so I guess I could help you with this one, Master,"

Terror runs through his veins. Her gawking at him as he eats is enough to shatter his already small ounce of dignity. And Mari spoon-feeding him like a helpless child would only make everything much, much worse than he could imagine.

This is what Jude is frightened of since day one. Feeling helpless. Feeling worthless. Feeling like an immense burden.

His brows intertwining, Jude was thrown off guard when he felt her soft fingertips touch his scarred cheek. Great, now, not only is she glancing at his scars, but she's also touching them.

Nevertheless, as a reaction, his neck turned crimson, the hairs at the back of his neck rose. 'Damnit!' thought him.

Pinching his lips, Jude inhaled deeply. Jude heard her scoop the soup and was presumably inclined to put it into his mouth.

Nonetheless, her soft intoxicating fingers were spread across his cheek, her upbeat voice exclaiming, "Master, this one's hot so be careful,"

Furthermore, Jude dared not to open his mouth, instead, he inhaled once more, uttering profanity at himself for scenting her sweet fragrance, for feeling her closeness.

With that, he was suddenly tempted to grab hold of her face, and explore it, tracing every outline of her. That thought lingered for seconds until he realized what he was committing.

Jude can't take it no more when Mari's other hand drifted unto his arm, electrifying him, "if you could just open your mouth-"

Mari hadn't had the opportunity to complete her statement when Jude, before he could stop himself, hollered, "Damnit, woman. Get out!", and swiftly and violently cast the spoon away from him and in the following minute, he did the same to the bowl next to him after the silence that followed.

Jude was convinced it was Mari where the hot soup spilled unto judging from her sudden shrieking and the panicky sound of her standing from the footstool followed by the shattering of glass.

With that, Jude laments his outbursts.

God, he wanted to apologize. Nonetheless, for an obvious foolish reason, he persisted crouching, his cloudy cold green eyes plastered on the stupid wall, a wall he doesn't even know the color of. Stupid, stupid him.

Great, the first time this sweet innocent girl heard him speak, it was filled with nothing but anger targeted actually for himself, and not for her.

After a second, there he heard it, Mari mumbled with a cracking voice close to tears he had never imagined would come out of her jolly mouth, "I-i'll go clean this up, Ma-master,"

Jude felt guilty, that's for certain yet he did not do anything about it, verifying what an arse he is. That, he concedes he is.

He continued sitting and seemingly unbothered as he heard Mari clean the glasses on the ground, her soft muffled cries escaping her mouth, stabbing him straight in the heart.

Jude felt weak at every sob she erupted. God, what an asshole he is.

After what seems like an eternity in hell, Mari mumbled with a faint voice, so different from her jolly voice he's accustomed to, "I-i'll get another one, Master,"

Rapidly, she was off to the door, leaving him all alone feeling like a jerk as he pretended nothing's wrong on the outside but truth is, inside, he felt like his heart was being hammered.

When she came back after a few minutes, feeling her place the meal next to him, uttering with such usual chirpiness, as if nothing transpired a while ago, "I'll just come back later, Master,"

After preparing the meal, no burning soup this time, he heard her soft footfall parting away from him.

He reckoned she was already in the doorway when she blurted out the words, "and please forgive me for how I acted a while ago, Master. I've truly crossed the line and I shouldn't have done that,"

With that, Jude's all alone. Closing his eyes, he let out a lengthy agonizing groan.

His remorse heightened when that night, she even bothered fetching two buckets of water for a jerk like him.

Mari, as angelic as she is, even bid goodnight to him.

That's it, Jude Kane truly deserves a special place in hell.