Chapter 59 - Sleeping Beauty

After the little highness sent Jiang Yu back upstairs, she looked back at the Ghost Tribe Princess and smiled nervously. Yan Zhi led them to a table, placed the two bottles of wine down and poured them both some chrysanthemum tea.

"I know you're not mute," said Feng Jiu as she sat down.

"And I know you and your friends aren't mortals," said Yan Zhi with a half-smile.

The two princesses sat quietly looking down at their teacups.

"Thanks for agreeing to talk to me. I know we don't know each other but I'm um ... I'm actually really happy to see you. I'm Bai Feng Jiu of Qing Qiu. I know your brother Li Jing."

"Ah, Qing Qiu. I also know someone from Qing Qiu," said the Ghost Tribe Princess.

"My aunt, right? Bai Qian?" she asked after she sipped her tea.

Yan Zhi's smile was tinged with sadness. "Yes, your ... aunt." Memories of her crushing on Bai Qian who cross-dressed as Si Yin came back to her. She took a deep breath and intentionally decided to place her attention elsewhere.

 Her eyes brightened at the thought of her brother. "How do you know my second brother?"

"Oh, I was just a little kit when I met him. He was trying to see my aunt but sadly she wouldn't see him. He came all the time to Qing Qiu, just waiting for her. I knew he was sad and so I often kept him company while he waited. He would often make me these—"

"Grasshoppers, out of grass," said Yan Zhi smiling.

"Yes! I'm sure you have many too! Um ... there's someone else we both know as well." She bit her lip nervously. "It's my uncle Zi Lan."

Yan Zhi sat quietly upon hearing the name that she had not heard uttered in many years. "Your uncle? ... I don't remember him mentioning any nieces."

"Oh, I'm um ... adopted I guess you could say. He didn't know me yet when you and him spent time together."

Yan Zhi nodded. "So, princess, how did you recognize me? I'm fairly certain I've camouflaged my demon essence well enough."

"No, you certainly have. I just recognize you because he and I spent a lot of time together. I have this strange ability to sometimes share in the memories of other people I'm close with. I don't mean to be intrusive, but I have a very specific memory with him I want to share with you."

Feng Jiu closed her eyes and drew a deep breath. She opened her eyes and leaned in closer over to the Ghost Tribe Princess. "May I?" she asked extending her hand.

Yan Zhi nodded hesitantly and the little princess placed her palm gently onto the side of her face. Yan Zhi felt a warm flood of mixed feelings and memories flash before her eyes before consolidating into a clear picture of Zi Lan under a Celestial tree in the middle of the night. She experienced the conversation he had with Feng Jiu through the little fox princess's eyes and felt the bond they shared. She watched him comfort the little princess and intuited his emotional process as he rummaged through the recesses of his own wounded cavernous heart. 

The sacrifices, the grief, sorrow, regret, and, finally the love were pulled to the surface, an empathetic gift, treasures once buried deep. The love; it was confirmation of what she had always hoped. 

Tears sprang forth from her eyes and she exhaled a heavy sob she had been holding onto for many years. Her next breath in was more sweet than bitter. Her next breath out released sorrow.

Feng Jiu slowly removed her hand and saw how she and the Ghost Tribe Princess mirrored each other, tears in each of their eyes, lips forming into a tense sad smile.