chapter three - lexie

I stood at the nurse's station, sharing a bag of chips with Meredith and Cristina. All I could think about was that nerdy FBI boy. Something about him just made my heart skip. Sitting with him, talking to him... It's the most comfortable I've felt in a while. Since Mark. He was a good listener. But that was his job, right? Listening to people and learning things about them?

"So..." Meredith grinned at me. "Who's that guy you've been talking to?"

My cheeks felt hot. "His name is Spencer. Dr. Spencer Reid."

"He's a doctor?" Meredith laughed.

"He has a photographic-no eidetic memory." I shoved a few chips in my mouth.

"That's pretty perfect," Cristina turned the bag towards her.

"Also, he's not a little kid. He's like the same age as me. Did you know he graduated high school when he was 12? He's a genius."

"Wow." Cristina muttered, spinning the bag to Meredith.

"What?" I glared at her.

"You're in love. You're a lover. You're head over heels for this mystery FBI boy."

I gasped. "I am not head over heels! He's nice. And he's cute. And he's smart. He puts a bunch of sugar in his coffee just like me."

"Dude." Meredith grinned at Cristina. "He's her McDreamy."

"He is not my McDreamy! I barely know him. Also, he lives in Virginia, doing all of his top secret work, so it's not like-"

"You got his number though, right?" Cristina asked.

I opened my mouth.

"You didn't get his number? Come on, Lex." Meredith sighed.

"I- I did. I have his number." I pulled the card out of my lab coat pocket.

"Oh, business card?" Cristina grabbed it from me. "Dr. Spencer Reid, Special Agent, Behavioral Analysis Unit, Quantico, Virgina."

"Let me see." Meredith plucked it from her hands. "Cool. He seems like a cool guy."

I grabbed the card back.

"Are you going to call him?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Maybe. I don't know."

"Come on, Little Grey. Call "Special Agent Spencer Reid." Cristina stared at me.

I took a deep breath, tracing his name on the card. "Okay. Yeah."

"Oh! I know." Meredith grabbed my arm. "Invite him to Joe's after work! We'll be there, you know, in case it goes bad or something."

"Fine! I'll call him later, I swear." I shoved the card back in my lab coat pocket.

"Don't lose the card! Or else your soulmate will be lost forever," Crisitna teased.

"I memorized it anyway."

"Riiiiiight." She said, just as my pager beeped.

"Gotta go." I grabbed one more chip from the bag and threw it in my mouth.

"Call him!" Meredith held her hand up to her ear like a phone.

"I will." I yelled back. This boy, Spencer, he was special. He was all I could think about. But I knew I couldn't get attached. He didn't even live here. I promised myself I wasn't going to think about him for the rest of the day, but I doubted I would be able to.