chapter eight - spencer

Lexie grabbed my hand, leading me to Derek's room so I wouldn't get lost. She was in her scrubs, her hair tied back. She looked beautiful, even in the scrubs. Her coat had her name embroidered on it. Lexie Grey. I hadn't asked her... What her full name was. It must be Lexie, right? If that was on her coat.

"Here we are," she said. She looked at the door, then back at me. "Um, I'll- I'll see you later? My lunch break? I'll call you."

"Yeah. Yeah, of course. I'll look forward to it." Should I kiss her? I kissed her forehead, a cute, almost friendly kiss. She blushed, letting go on my hand.

"I'll see you later." She grinned at me and practically skipped away. I sighed, trying to collect myself and wipe the blush of his face before he entered the room. I opened the door, bracing myself.

JJ and Emily were in there, drinking coffee, talking to Derek.

"Hey, big man!" Derek bellowed.

"I cannot believe you spent the night." JJ said, sitting back.

I sat down on the other side of the bed. "Yeah, whatever. But how are you?"

Derek laughed. "Oh, I'm fine. I hope they'll discharge me today."

I smiled, but deep down I was disappointed. "That's amazing!"

"Yeah, whatever. I've been shot before. Now tell us about the girl." He stared at me, pushing himself up with his arms.

"I, uh, since when are you guys interested in my personal life?" I stammered, fidgeting.

"Since you never go on dates. Since you never spend the night." JJ wiggled her hands.

I did promise them all the details. "Um, it was good. You know, it was fun. We talked. We ate breakfast. I, uh, met her sister and her friend and her sister's husband, and she wants to meet me for lunch," I rambled.

"That's-that's great!" JJ exclaimed. "You're going to meet her?"

"Yeah, I just- I'm not- not sure when her lunch break is. So I have to wait for her to call me. Again." I sighed. I looked up at her. "I-I just really like her. A lot. I mean..."

Derek laughed. "Reid's in love!"

"I-I'm not- I'm not in love." I stammered.

Just then a short doctor walked in, followed by Meredith and a bunch of other people. Interns.

"Dr. Grey, present."

"Um, Derek Morgan, 35 years old, G.S.W. to the lower abdomen and upper arm. Post-op day two, on 1000 mg of ibuprofen every four hours."

The short one inspected Derek's wound, then turned to Meredith. "Change his dressings. The rest of you, come with me." She walked out of the door, followed by the rest of the interns.

"Hi, guys." She smiled, then nodded at me. "Spencer."

"So, can I get out of here today?" Derek asked, while Meredith peeled the bandages away.

"Well, it's definitely healing well, but there's still a lot of swelling around the incision. I don't want you to go out and open it back up..." She took a step back, grabbing a new roll of bandages. "I'd like to keep you, just for tonight. We can probably discharge you in the morning."

Derek sighed. "Yeah. Yeah, okay."

JJ and Emiy sat back. "Thanks."

I nodded. Inside, I was thanking the lord or whatever strong force was out there for keeping him another night. Or maybe it was just Meredith.

"So..." Emily said. "Has uh, your sister said anything? You know, about Spencer?"

Meredith chuckled. "Has she said anything. She's said many things."

Derek laughed. "Oh, Spence. You've got a girl."

Meredith finished the bandaging on his stomach. "Okay, you're all set. Call if you need anything, okay?" She walked out of the room, winking at me.

I looked around, suddenly realizing we were missing someone. "Hey, where's Hotch?"

"He went home to Jack last night. I made him." Derek said.

"Oh."

JJ handed me a cup of coffee. "Here."

I nodded in thanks. It was good, but missing a little bit of sugar. Lexie would have known how much to put in. At least, she did last night. I was itching to go see her, spend every minute that I was in Seattle with her. But she was working, and I needed to be here with Derek. I couldn't stop thinking about last night, her soft hair on my chest, how cute she looked while she was sleeping. Was this what love felt like?

I couldn't be in love. Not with her. She's temporary. Only for now. I can't- But she's all I can think about. I sat in the room, waiting for the clock to get closer to lunch time, hoping and hoping that she'll call.