chapter ten - spencer

I sat in my hotel room, perched on the edge of the bed. Derek had made us spend the night in somewhere other than the hard cots in the hospital. And honestly, I was glad. I hated the hospital. Well... usually. 

I twirled my phone in my hand, working up the nerve to call Lexie again. I had no idea if she was still at work or not. It was around dinnertime. That was when most hospital shifts ended. I could call her here, we could order room service... girls liked that kind of stuff. Right?

Her number was already on speed dial. I pressed the call button and waited. The phone rang four times before she picked up.

"Hey."

"Um, I was uh- wondering. I'm staying the hotel across the street from the hospital. Do-do you want to come? I'll- my room number-"

"I would love to." I heard her giggle on the other end of the phone.

"Oh-okay. I'm in room 209."

"I'll see you."  The phone clicked off. I sighed, my heart rate increasing.

Room service. Right. What did surgeons like to eat? I decided to be safe and order a pizza. She had to like pizza.

After I hung up the phone, all that was left to do was wait. JJ and Emily were staying in rooms across from me. I kinda hoped they wouldn't stop by. That would be awkward.

Around 30 minutes later, I heard a soft knock at the door. I shot up and pranced over, opening it slowly. Lexie was standing there, grinning, holding a bottle of wine.

She walked in and set the bottle down, then collapsed on the bed. She looked exhausted.

"Are you okay?" I said, laying down next to her.

"Tired. Long day." She sat up. "Did you order something? I'm starving."

"Pizza."

"Cheese?"

I nodded, smiling. Lexie crawled over to me, leaning her head against my chest. She loved to cuddle, and I didn't want to admit it, but so did I.

We sat there for a while, just enjoying each other's company, until finally she broke the silence.

"I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow." She whispered.

I opened my mouth to respond, but there was another knock at the door. This time, louder.

"Room service!"

I sighed. "Pizza."

"Good." She let me get up and I retrieved the pizza, tipping the delivery guy. I set the box on the bed and resumed my original position. Lexie handed me a slice, and then took one for herself.

"Mm."

"Yeah, that's good." I quickly finished my slice and grabbed a second.

"Hey, where's Derek? Are you here by yourself?" She asked, her mouth full.

"He told us to stay at a hotel. He doesn't need us in there." I sighed. "He's being discharged tomorrow, anyway."

"Right." Lexie said quietly, finishing her slice. "I really don't want you to go."

"Me neither." I grabbed the bottle of wine and opened it, searching for glasses.

She grabbed it from my hand and drank straight from the bottle. I stared at her.

"What?" She asked. "You want some?"

I laughed. She was crazy. I grabbed the bottle and took a long drink.

"Aahh." I licked my lips, setting it back down on the table. It's been a while since I've had fun. I didn't go to parties as a teenager, I didn't go out in my twenties... well, I was in my twenties. But it didn't feel like it.

She finished another slice and stared at the pieces of crust I had left in the box.

"You don't like the crust?" She asked, shocked. "That's-that's the best part!"

"It's bread. If I wanted bread I would eat it."

"Whatever." She ate my crust, licking her fingers. "Hand me the wine."

I gave the bottle to her and she took a sip, setting the bottle in between her legs.

I sighed. It sucked that I had to leave tomorrow. Part of me wanted to scoop her up, take her home. But I knew I couldn't. We each had our own lives, separate from each other.

Then, there was yet another knock on the door.

"Spence?" It was JJ.

Lexie sat up and turned to look at me. "Who is that?"

"JJ. Can she come in?" I whispered.

She shrugged, indifferent.

"Come in!" I yelled. "It's unlocked."

She opened the door, looking between Lexie and I. "Am I- I can go, if-"

Lexie laughed. "It's fine. As long as you weren't planning to tell him top secret stuff." She stared at her. "Were you? Planning to tell him top secret stuff?"

JJ shook her head. "No, I'm just bored." She grabbed a slice of pizza and sat down in the desk chair.

The door opened again, and we all turned to look. It was Emily.

"Nice. Join the party." Lexie holded up some pizza.

"Actually, I need JJ." She pointed at her, and JJ nodded at us and walked out of the room, shutting the door quietly behing her.

Lexie glanced up at me, confused. "Tell me about them."

"JJ's our media liason. She deals with the families, you know, when-" I looked at her, and she nodded. "She's fun. Emily joined the team after us. She's really good. Derek... he's strong. Scary. Hotch is our leader. He knows what he's doing. And Rossi, he's back in Virginia, he's like... our other leader."

She smiled. "Cool. That's what I thought."

"Mmm." I kissed her. She pulled away and smiled, her eyes still closed.

"I don't want you to go." She laid her head on my chest.

"Me neither." I whispered. Was this really our last night together? Were we really going to have to say goodbye tomorrow?

Part of me wished I had never met her in the first place. Maybe then it wouldn't hurt so much to leave.

We laid there for the rest of the night, kissing, rolling around, talking, eating, drinking. We never got off the bed. I wanted to spend every last moment I could with her.

Eventually, playtime was over, and it was dark, the only light coming from the lamp on the bedside table. I could tell Lexie was tired. Her eyes were half shut, leaning against me.

She wasn't wearing any shirt or pants. We had taken those off a while ago. "What time is it?" She mumbled.

"Almost 11:30." I said, turning off the light.

I felt her nod against me. "Please don't go." She whispered.

I opened my mouth to respond, but words failed me. I simply swallowed and looked down at her. She was already fast asleep again. I stared at her for as long as I could, fighting to keep my eyes open. But eventually, I fell asleep, my hand resting on her back, her ear on my chest.