Chapter Twenty Four

Hearts weren't supposed to hurt like that, they're not supposed to break so fast, they say that times a healer, how Long's this burn supposed to last.
Jessie Ware
(Hearts)
                                __His First July

Chapter Twenty Four

DANY

This is the fourth day with no sign of Colby. 

He hasn't showed up to school. To say I was worried, was an understatement. As Mandy called the names of the students in our class, I absentmindedly gave them their graduation gowns as they stepped forward. It was almost lunch break, and the principal asked me to make sure  everyone got their gowns today, even if there was a week till graduation. That's how it worked in ICHS, graduating students always got their gowns a week or two before graduation. 

Our last exams went well, and I couldn't help but worry about the fact that Colby missed everything. Although, I had a feeling he'd be taking them from home? It was possible. 

I mean, knowing his parents, they'd never let him miss exams, that's the point to all this. 

I sighed. 

"Stop over thinking it Dany. I'm sure he's fine." Mandy said from beside me. 

"How can I not over think it? He's missing exams, Mandy. Final exams." 

"You mean he has missed." She corrected.

I sighed. "I've tried calling him but his number never goes through, it's like he's abandoned his phone or changed numbers or something. I even called his Mom, but she isn’t picking up either." I said. 

"Then go to him." She said.

"We broke up. Am I just going to go to him and say, hi, we broke up but I still care and I want to know if you're okay. It doesn't make any sense." 

"I think you need to hang out. Have some fun-" 

"It's like you don't understand me." I said, turning fully to face her. "I don't need fun, I don't want to hang out. I need and want Colby, cause I love him, I'm worried about him and I just miss him so much." 

She held both my arms. "I understand, okay. We miss him too, all of us. But just like you, none of us have been able to reach him. I thought you said you were gonna give it time." 

"I have given it time Mandy. But it's not helping. I can't stop thinking about him. I won't even be that depressed if I get a lot of Cs' in this exam cause, I know my mind and heart wasn't in it." 

I looked around the dance studio to see students here and there, trying on their gowns. "He's supposed to be here Mandy. He's supposed to be with us... With me." 

"It's okay... Alright? We'll think of something." She said rubbing my shoulder comfortly.

The bell rang shortly after, as we rounded off the distributing till tomorrow.

"See you at lunch." Mandy said, rushing out the entrance. 

I stored the rest of the gowns we were unable to finish giving out back into the closet, before making my way towards the principal office to give her the details of the gowns remaining and the names of students who had already gotten theirs.