1: New Faces

TO FIRST TIME READERS: My writing slowly improves throughout the book and it really shows. So I know when you start reading this book, the lack of detail will AMAZE you. Please don't stop reading just because it looks like one of ✨those✨ books. I can assure you, it's not. Soon, I will slowly start to edit the beginning chapters because DAMN, they suck.

TO RETURNING READERS: why the hell are you reading this shit fest again?

A twelve year old girl can get pretty anxious when she's alone, imagine how scared she'll be when she's alone and dead have started walking. She sat there, in a dirty jumpsuit she got when she was thrown in juvie just a month before the world went down hill. It's been a while since she's seen a living person, but whenever she did, they generally didn't have a good reaction to her atire.

Suddenly, there was a lot of noise. Peaking out of the wood panels that blocked out the sun from a bar window, she saw a man on a horse. He looked to be a cop of some kind. Ironic. He had a bag labeled 'SHERIFF' and it was full of guns.

Following him on the horse, a better term would be surrounding him, was a hoard of a couple hundred of the undead at the least.

Dumbass. Why would he come into the city? The entire city of Atlanta was littered with dead people walking.

The horse got spooked and threw the sheriff off of his back before being pulled to the ground by the massive horde.

The girl anxiously watched as the man crawled under the abandoned tank, shooting the undead freaks as he tried to find the latch. What is this guy doing? Coming to the city, then firing a gun? What's next, he tries to cook them a meal?

She didn't know why, but she was relieved to see that he made it inside the tank, unharmed. Thinking fast, she grabbed a walkie talkie that she snagged before coming into the city and changed the channel until static stopped ringing in her ears.

She held down the button before speaking into it, "Howdy there, Sheriff. You alright in that tank?" She asked, not knowing why she was even engaging at all.

"Who the hell is this?" A voice responded. "You're not in the tank."

"Correct, I'm in the bar across from it.. who is this?" She was confused now. She only saw one person go into the tank and she would've noticed if anyone went in earlier.

There was a moment of silence.

"Are you two still there?" The man they assumed sho was the Sheriff asked, and he was close to, if not, panicking.

"Nice to hear from you, thought we lost you there." The other guy spoke. He sounded young, while the guy in the tank didn't exactly should 'old,' per say, but you could tell he was older than who ever else is on the line.

"How do I get out of here?" The sheriff asked.

"Most of the geeks are distracted by the horse, but a few of them are making their way up the tank. I'd say you have to make a run for it." He explained briefly.

"You want me to 'make a run for it?'" The idea wasn't totally smart, but it the only option.

"You got a better plan? What do you have in there?" He asked regarding weapons.

"Hold on," the girl took this second of silence to think to herself. He's actually helping him. He is saving his life right now, and he doesn't even know him. Still being amazed by these facts, she didn't hear what the man said he had in the tank with him.