18: Search

Elle's P.O.V.

We were standing around Dale's grave, putting rocks on it. I zoned out, just staring as the pile slowly grew as each person placed a rock.

"Elle," Rick nudged me while whispering. I snapped out of my daze to realize it was my turn. I walked up to the wheel barrow and grabbed a rock before slowly placing it on the grave. After I returned to Glenn and Maggie's sides, Rick stood in front of everyone and gave a speech. He says we must honor Dale and his way of doing things.

Are we still going to kill Randall? Dale didn't want to do that. I thought of bringing the question up, but decided not to. We all cleaned up and were on edge. Nobody knew what to do with Randall now, Dale didn't want to kill him, then Dale died. I needed a nap. I layed on the couch and let the darkness swallow me whole.

DREAM/FLASHBACK

"You're finally home." Paul said as Elle walked through the door.

"Practice was going so well, the coach lost track of time." She said putting her softball bat on the couch. "Where's Jack and Cody?" She asked.

"They're playing football in the backyard." Paul answered. Elle started going for the backdoor to join her older brothers. "Nope, eat dinner first." He stopped her.

"Fine. What's on the menu?" She asked sitting on one of the stools at their kitchen island.

"Frozen pizza and frozen pizza." Paul joked.

"Frozen pizza sounds good." Elle smiled.

"You go grocery shopping?" She asked as she was handed a plate.

"Yeah. Mom and Dad--- Cathy and Andrew left a list."

"You can call them mom and dad. They call you their son and we call you our brother." Elle smiled at him.

"I know. It just feels weird, even though I've been with you guys for 8 months." Paul shrugged. Paul wasn't family by blood. They had taken him in from the group home.

"See any cute guys?" Elle joked, changing the subject.

"It's Walmart. You're lucky if you can find fresh deli meat." Paul laughed. Elle finished her pizza and went into the yard with her other brothers.

"Elle, go long!" Jake yelled. Elle ran to the other side of the fence and caught the ball.

"TOUCH DOWN!" He cheered.

"No fair! Its two against one!" Cody complained.

"Unless Paul wants to join." Elle said, gesturing to the person standing in the doorway.

"Yeah! Come join us!" Jack exclaimed. Paul gave in and joined the Clarke kids in a game of catch.

I woke up with a gasp.

"You okay?" A voice asked. I looked over to see Beth reading a book. She's been doing a lot better since the barn. She went into shock and almost killed herself.

"Yeah, just had a dream." I said sitting up. "Where's everyone else?"

"Doin chores. Rick and Carl are in the stable talking about somethin." She answered with her soft southern accent. I thanked her before exiting the house.

"He's gone!" I heard TDog yell. Randall? I ran down to the barn. Rick, Carl, Glenn, Andrea, Carol, and Daryl were all down here questioning the situation.

"Cuffs are still locked. Must've slipped em." Rick said.

"Is that even possible?" Andrea asked.

"Well you just push your thumb this way, dislocating it. The you cup your hand like this and twist your wrist super hard while pulling." I said making movements with my hands. They gave me weird looks. "I mean, that's how I did it." I shrugged.

"RICK!" A voice yelled from the woods. Shane was coming out and his nose looked broken. "Son of a bitch came up behind me. Hit me with a rock and took my gun." Shane shouted whilst coming closer to us. Shane is a big guy, he's telling us that a scrawny boy who can barely walk, took him down? Doubt it.

"Are you okay?" Carl asked.

"I'm fine." Shane assured him.

"Wasn't this the plan? Let him go?" Carol asked with worry in her voice.

"Not on our front step with a gun." Andrea argued.

"Okay, Daryl and Glenn come with us. We gotta find him." Rick said.

"I'll go." Andrea piped up.

"No. I need you to stay here, keep guard and keep everybody inside." Rick ordered. Andrea nodded. T took Carl and I back to the house. Carol and Andrea following.

Carl's P.O.V.

My mom sent me and Elle upstairs.
"Shouldn't they be back by now? They left at sunset, its completely dark." I asked.

"They'll be fine. Shane and your dad are tough. So are Daryl and Glenn." Elle said. I continued to look out the window. I grabbed the gun my dad let me keep and opened the window.

"What are you doing? Carl!" Elle said standing up as I climbed through.

"I need to find them. Don't tell my mom." I said. I lowered myself of the edge of the roof and dropped.

Elle's P.O.V.

I watched as he ran across the field. God dammit. I searched and found an axe. I grabbed it then a flashlight, and climbed out the window myself. I did what Carl did. Lowered myself down before dropping. I ran in the direction I remembered him going in. I turned on the flashlight. "Carl!" I whispered. Nothing. "Carl!" I whispered again. I heard a growl. I turned around and was greeted by a walker. I swung the axe into it's head, silencing it.

"Elle?" Glenn asked. Dammit again. "What are you doing out here?" He asked.

"Helping you?" I lied.

"We found Randall. He wasn't bit or scratched, but he turned." Daryl explained as Glenn started dragging me.

"How is that possible?" I asked.

"I dunno." Maybe Carl found Rick and Shane. Maybe their already back at the house. Daryl opened the door and Glenn shoved me inside.

"You were upstairs." Maggie said confused.

"I snuck out." I said. Lori shot up the stairs faster than when I have ice cream without Lactaid.

"Where is my son?!" Lori shouted, scowling at me.

"I was in the woods trying to find him!" I yelled back. Daryl and Glenn were about to go back outside and find Shane and Rick, but something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I felt everyone staring at me as I slowly walked over to the window and pulled back the blindes.
Walkers. And a lot of them.

_____________________________________
dammit Carl

Give feedback <3