32: Supply Run; Part 1

Previously: "We're going to war."

No more sleeping as much as she wanted anymore. Elle was too busy helping fortify the prison. Hershel kept saying they should leave, while Glenn says they should stay and fight back. Knowing that the group had nowhere else to go, Elle sided with Glenn. Even though she was busy all the time, she still had time to think. She mostly thought about the weak defenses against Woodbury's army. Army. They had guns, and a lot of them. Rick's group had guns, but most of then were empty and the ammunition is limited. This was scary. They were going to war with people. It was expected, but it's still scary.

"Hey." Elle felt a tap on my shoulder. She turned around to meet the bright blue eyes of Carl Grimes. "My dad and Michonne are going to go on a run for guns and ammo, wanna come with?" He asked with a small smile. He was trying his best to not seem scared. He won't admit it, but under his confidence, was fear. He was confident that they would win, but he was still scared of the possibility of losing.

"Sure." Elle nodded. She grabbed a few bullets of the table and her gun. She loaded each individual bullet into the magazine before looking back up at the boy. "Stop staring at me, let's go." The girl chuckled.

"Go where?" Glenn's voiced asked from the other side of the room.

"On a run for weapons." Elle answered, turning towards the young man.

"Are you sure? After what happened last time-" he started. But she was quick to cut him off.

" 'What happened last time', is locked up in that cage. I'll be fine, I promise." She said, giving him a small smile. He nodded, accepting the fact that the teenager needed to move on from the past. It's something she'll remember for a long time, if not forever. But she needs to move on, she can't constantly think back to that day. It'll only distract her. She gave Glenn a reassuring hug before walking back to Carl's side. They walked together outside, and both covered their eyes from the beaming sun. In the corner of his eye, Carl saw Sky, Cody, and Jack grouped together, talking.

"Hey guys, we're going on a run. Just thought you should know Elle wasn't kidnapped again." Carl shouted, laughing after that last part. Elle smiled as she shoved him.

"Jerk." She chuckled. Carl shoved her back. She scoffed, as they started shoving each other until they made it to the car. Elle went for one last shove, but when she reached her arms out to do so, Carl grabbed them and pulled her into a hug as they burst into a fit of laughter. Rick saw this and raised an eyebrow at the two teens. They both turned a little red and pulled away from each other, the smiles refusing to leave their faces.

They shared a glance before climbing into the backseat with Michonne driving. Carl's smile faded a little bit at the sight of the stranger driving. Elle pulled his attention towards her. "We'll be fine. She's a good person." She whispered.

"How do you know that?" He sassed.

"Because I'm a genius. You know this already." She answered, playfully rolling her eyes. Seeing the boy's expression didn't change, she turned to him again. "Seriously Carl, I trust her. She helped get me, Glenn, and Maggie out of Woodbury. Don't you think that's trustworthy enough?" She asked with a more serious tone. The boy was quiet before slightly nodding his head.

___________

The car ride was quiet. The kids stared out the windows, watching tree after tree pass by. The trees looked like they never stopped coming. The forest line was beautiful, no doubt about it, but it never stopped. Elle remembered that night, a few months after the farm. When she was running from that man. She thought about the ice cold wind hitting her face, the twigs cutting her thighs, her curls flowing behind her, seeing a cloud of breath escape her mouth everytime she exhaled. She pulled her flannel closer to her body at the thought of winter.