16: Knockback

Beware, this chapter is all over the place

Elle's P.O.V.

We pulled up to the farm to see mostly everyone outside, waiting on us.
Lori ran up to Rick, and Maggie ran right past Hershel and into Glenn's arms. Hershel had a bit of a shocked look on his face, but ignored it.

"Patricia, prep the barn for surgery." Hershel instructed.

"Why? Is someone hurt?" Andrea asked.

"Who the hell is that?" T Dog asked pointing at Randall sitting in the backseat.

"That's Randall," Rick answered.

"The reason we came back so late." I added.

------------

I was sitting on the porch swing with a blanket. It was a little chilly tonight. I saw Carl walk up the steps, he walked over and sat next to me.

"Oh. Here." I said giving him his hat. He put it on his head and continued to sit there. "Did you need something?" I asked.

"No. I'm just looking at the stars." He answered.

"The stars are up there." I said pointing at the sky.

"Oh, right." He stuttered. I chuckled. "Why did you go into town?" He asked.

"I wanted to." I answered truthfully.

"But its dangerous. You guys were almost shot." Carl exclaimed.

"Yeah. It was, we were. But that's how the world is. Dangerous." I said meeting his eyes.

"Do you think I could become strong?" He asked me.

"You are strong, what are you talking about?" I asked him.

"No, I mean strong. I know how to use a gun, but my mom doesn't let me have one. I've never killed a walker. That needs to change." He explained. I thought for a minute.

"It does. Lori needs to think about this. She knows that you need to protect yourself, but you're still her little boy. She will realize that you have the strength, she doesn't want to admit that her boy is growing up." I reassured him. "My mom did it with all my brothers."

He nodded. We continued to look at the stars as I snuggled close to the fluffy blanket. I felt my eyelids start to close, and I didn't stop them.

Carl's P.O.V.

She's right. My mom will eventually realize that I can be strong enough and trusted to carry weapons. I was examining each star closely, when one caught my eye. It shined a little brighter than the rest. I remember when Mom told me it was called The North Star. If you're ever lost, you follow it. I looked over to see Elle sound asleep. She looked cozy in the warm blanket. I sat there a few more minutes before deciding to go to my tent.
I was making my way over when I saw Glenn.
"You seen Elle?" He asked.

"Asleep on the porch swing." I smiled. He chuckled and walked over to her.

Glenn's P.O.V.