Chapter 12

Sam and I are walking hand in hand down the sidewalk of his neighborhood.

"I love your neighborhood!" I say as I look around at the beautiful homes and well-manicured lawns.

"It's nice! I would love to get a dog to walk around the neighborhood."

I look sideways at Sam. "You're a dog guy, huh?"

"You're not?" He raises a brow.

"A guy? No, sorry to disappoint you, Sam," I say, smirking.

"For the record, I'm not disappointed that you're not a guy. I was talking about the dog, smart ass!" He shoves me with his shoulder.

I can't help but laugh. "Oh... yeah, I like dogs, but you know, with our crazy schedules, it would be hard to take care of a dog the way it deserves to be taken care of."

He agrees, "Hence why I don't have a dog."

After about five minutes of walking, we approach an adorable Cape Cod-style house with a for-sale sign on the beautifully landscaped front yard. The house is pale yellow with a hunter-green door, garage door, and shutters. It has a gorgeous front porch that goes across the entire front of the house. The two-car garage is attached, and I'm already in love!

"Please say that this is the house," I plead.

A car pulls into the driveway.

Sam squeezes my hand. "It is."

My excitement is evident. "If the inside is anything like the outside, I'm all in!"

He smiles. "I thought that you would like it."

Before even thinking, I kiss him on the cheek. "Thank you!"

"If that is how you thank me, please remind me to do nice things for you more often!" He grins.

I squeeze his hand and laugh as we walk up to the realtor.

"Hello! Dr. Daniels?"

"Hello." The men shake hands.

"This is my friend Mallory Stevens," Sam introduces me.

"Hello," I say as we shake hands.

"Hello, I'm Dave Thatcher. It's very nice to meet you."

"Likewise," I reply.

Dave smiles. "Shall we go inside?"

"Yes, please!" I clap my hands like an excited child.

Sam grins at my excitement.

I shrug. "What? I'm excited!"

He laughs, "I can see that!"

I practically drag him into the front door that the realtor just opened.

"Nice!" Sam says as we look around the entranceway.

"It is." I agree.

It has a foyer with a cathedral ceiling and hardwood floors. There is a white staircase to the left of the front door leading up to the second floor.

Dave speaks up, "To the right is the living room. As you can see, it has a large front bow window that lets in a lot of light and is the perfect place to put plants."

Sam and I look around. I love how the natural light brightens the entire room, and the hardwood floors flow into the living area from the foyer.

"Please feel free to roam the house and property at your leisure. I'll be in the kitchen if you have any questions," Dave adds before setting us free to view the house.