Chapter 15

I confess my feelings to Kendall, "I know that we've known each other for over a year, but my relationship with Sam still feels like a whirlwind romance."

Kendall pauses, the fork going to her mouth. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I guess it's because the second we had that first kiss, we couldn't get enough of each other," I try my best to explain.

Kendall smirks at me. "I don't see a problem here."

"Oh, there's no problem, no problem at all. I guess my head is trying to keep up with my heart." I shrug.

Kendall takes my hand into hers. "Follow your heart, Mal. Always follow your heart."

We continue to enjoy our lunch and conversation till Kendall looks at her phone. "Shoot, Mal. I have to go. Scott has to leave for work in half an hour. I have to get home to relieve him."

"Of course, please give Benny Boy a big hug and kiss from his Auntie Mal."

"I will," she promises.

We both stand and grab our to-go containers. We had already paid the bill, and we hugged before going to our cars.

"Love you, Mal!" She squeezes me.

"Love you, too, Ken."

"We must get our schedules together for a cookout," Kendall suggests.

"That sounds perfect. I'll check Sam's and my schedule and let you know," I reply.

"I'll do the same with Scott's and mine. Hopefully, something will line up." She crosses her fingers.

"Hopefully. Bye, Ken."

"Bye, Mal."

As I get behind the wheel of my car, I get a buzz indicating that I have a text message. I look at my phone and smile when I see it's from Sam.

Hey, Babe. I miss you! Dinner at the cafe? 8:00?

I type out my response.

Yes, please! Are you at the hospital now?

I watch the bubbles, waiting for his response.

No, I'm still at the office, but I'll be there for dinner.

I smile.

Okay, see you then. XOXO.

XOXO.

My heart swells.

I start my car and head towards home to shower and get ready for work.

Sitting at the cafe waiting for Sam to arrive, I check for a text or message from Sam

Sitting at the cafe waiting for Sam to arrive, I check for a text or message from Sam. He's always very punctual or at least texts or calls when he's late. I sit for a few moments longer before looking down at my phone again, 8:15 p.m. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to contact me and wonder if he got caught up in an emergency with one of his patients. I waited fifteen more minutes before grabbing a sandwich before my break ended. My phone rang, it was Sam.

Every Little ThingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara