Chapter 15

She couldn't believe it.

In her hands she held a school report showing that she got the top grades in each subject. It was the first time Sofia had tried so hard at studying.

For once she couldn't wait to get home and show her.

Maybe her mother would love her now.

She went into the flat, "mum? I have something to show you!"

The woman she called for appeared from her bedroom, staring suspiciously at the girl. There were no more words exchanged between them as Sofia handed over her report.

A few more seconds passed as Maria looked over the piece of paper before putting it aside.

Was it not enough?

Despite the girl's worries, the woman smiled. She couldn't believe it, it was the first time her mother had smiled at her!

Maria raised her hand and this time, the daughter did not flinch. She rested it on top of her head and patted it lightly, before pulling her into a hug.

Sofia stiffened, still in shock. Her mother smelt strongly of alcohol and cigarettes, yet it did not matter to her.

"I'm so proud of you," the woman whispered, "if you do one more thing for me, I'll love you."

"Anything," she whispered back, anything to make this affection permanent.

Maria's hold on her daughter tightened and it started feeling uncomfortable.

"I was late in paying some money to someone, but if you can be a good girl then he said he'd leave me alone."

A large man appeared from the same bedroom, covered in tattoos and piercings. He looked the girl up and down with lust in his eyes.

"So this is the girl huh?" the man spoke.

He licked his lips in anticipation, "I'm gonna enjoy this."

Sofia's eyes widened in horror as the burning truth dawned on her. She pushed her mother and ran out the front door, her heartbeat quickened as she could hear their yells.

She ran and ran and ran. Until she found herself in a nearby park.

Her hands shook as she kept glancing around in fear that they had found her. Once she was certain that she was alone, she sat down on a bench where she stayed until the next morning.

She wrapped her arms around her legs and whimpered, the cold of the night making her shiver.

What a fool she was to believe that it would be enough.

That she would be enough.

Sofia was 13 when she stopped believing in love.

In having a family.

The girl woke up with a gasp, what a horrible nightmare that was.

She was still shaking and sweating profusely.

That was when she realised that she had forgotten to take her sleeping pills. Idiot.