55. Code of chivalry

The rest of the night I am buzzing and cannot keep a grin off my face. We don't spend much longer in the tower and instead rejoin everyone for eating through the massive feast and when I say massive, I mean massive.

Food is stacked high, from steaming roast turkeys to loaves of fine white bread; it is almost every food that I can think of. By the end of the meal I have grown a large food baby but have no regrets for doing it.

"Now that, is what I call a meal," Sage leans back next to me, hands on his stomach.

A hearty laugh erupts from the man opposite Sage, "Poor lad, can't say he didn't have it coming after not learning the whole code off by heart."

"What happened?" Sage asks the knight curiously.

"Otker here," the knight throws an arm wildly around the rosy cheeked man next to him, "had a nephew a few years ago who could not recall the knights code of chivalry at his knighting ceremony, you should have seen the looks on his knight's face,"

I inwardly grimace, that would have been embarrassing.

"Pepin is now a strong warrior," Killian says beside me, his tone light but with a subtle edge to it.

"Ah yes, Killian, I forgot you fought alongside the boy," Otker says, "I should hope he now knows the code. Do you still know it Killian?"

Killian bows his head, "Of course."

"Go on then!" The first knight enthusiastically raises his goblet. "All fourteen of them!"

I see Killian's jaw tense slightly before he relaxes, "The codes of chivalry that every knight swears to Earl of Ardonshire are," he clears his throat,

"To serve the liege lord in valour and faith

To protect the weak and defenceless

To give succour to widows and orphans

To live by honour and for glory

To despise pecuniary reward

To fight for the welfare of all

To obey those placed in authority

To guard the honour of fellow knights

To eschew unfairness, meanness and deceit

At all times to speak the truth

To persevere to the end in any enterprise begun

To respect the honour of women

Never to refuse a challenge from an equal

Never to turn the back upon a foe."

I inwardly scoff, this code must mean nothing to many knights however, I do wonder whether Killian would obey every single code. Especially the codes: To serve the liege lord in valour and faith, obey those placed in authority, guard the honour of fellow knights and at all times to speak the truth, for do not work well in my favour if Killian finds out about my identity.

"Well done my friend," Lord Ulric says coming up to us from behind, "I think that is a good end to the night." He leans in close to Killian, "I must talk to you later in private, we must catch up,"

"Okay, I shall find you later," Killian tells him and then turns to me, "may I walk you to your room?"

"You may,"

I take his arm and we bid Sage goodnight who most certainly notices are interlocked arms, and then exist the great hall.

"Lead the way," Killian tells me and I nod, not wanting to talk much anymore, still trying to process my thoughts.