Thirty-Four

~ Picspam designed by @arsenic_ {Thanks so much} 😊

"Aurora?" she says surprised. I take another deep breathe.

"Hi Mrs Evan's!"

"Aren't you meant to be in school?" Mrs Evan's asks, as she places a glass of water down in front of me. 

"Well you see," I start, trying to buy myself time to think of a lie. "It's lunch break, and I thought I would come and say hi," I say, smiling. Mrs Evan's raises her eyebrow at me, taking a seat opposite me. 

"I see.." she says, glancing at clock on the wall behind me, she meets my graze again. "What's the reason you came today, sweetie?" she asks. I glance down at my hands which were firmly holding the glass in front of me. 

"It's about.. Chase." Mrs Evan's eyes widen a little at the mention of her son. 

"See.. um," I trail off, would it be a mistake to tell her the truth, that we had been sorta together? "Chase and I.." 

"Were an item," she says for me, smiling. I glance up at her, and nod my head slowly. Although we never did say the four letter word to each other. But then what did you expect Aurora, you're both players. 

"Uh yeah. How did you know?" I ask, I'm sure Chase wouldn't have told her. Mrs Evan's leans in her chair and takes my hand in hers. 

"I know my son. He hasn't been happy for years, nothing could cheer him up. But I noticed his change of attitude a few months ago, and I started to think maybe he had met someone." She squeezes my hand gently before letting go,  she smiles. "I was right!" 

I frown. I couldn't have been the reason for why Chase was suddenly happy. I'm just a girl, a troubled, adopted girl with lots of problems. I couldn't have made him happy, could I?

"You made him so happy, you know?" she says suddenly, I glance across at her. "I haven't seen him smile, and laugh as much as he did with you." Again, I frown. What was she saying here? I couldn't be the reason why he was happy.. it didn't make sense. I pull my chair back as I get up quickly, maybe it was  a mistake coming here. 

"Listen!" I say as I look at her. "I am not the reason why your son was happy, okay? I had nothing to do with it. I am the wrong girl for your son." I argue with her. I'm about to turn and head out the door when her words stop me. 

"Is that what you think? That you are the wrong girl for my son?" I take a deep breathe, before turning around and looking into her eyes, the same as her son's. 

"Yes!" I sigh, glancing at the room around me. It was huge, clean and spotless. I glance at Mrs Evan's to see that she was wearing expensive clothing like Rachel. I then glance down at my clothing, ripped jeans,  red t-shirt and my dirty but trusty black converse. It's then that I recall what Chase had said to me. 

"Go back to where you belong Aurora." Chase was right, I don't fit in here. The only people who accepted me were Chase and Summer. Now I guess I could add Mike, Toby, Cole and Jonathan, oh and Wendy to that list as well. But how do I know that they won't leave me too. 

"Sit down sweetie!" Mrs Evan's says, pulling out the same chair I had pushed in earlier. I sigh, but I do as I'm told. I don't think she would've let me leave without saying whatever it is anyway.

"First of all, call me Meg not Mrs Evan's. It makes me feel so.."

"Old!" I finish for her, she laughs. 

"I knew there was a reason I liked you," she says, I smile. 

"Second, why don't you think you're good enough for my son?" she asks, generally interested in my answer.