Stay (IwaOi)

It wasn't supposed to hurt when Iwaizumi broke up with Oikawa. His chest wasn't supposed to tighten when Oikawa desperately begged for him to stay. He wasn't supposed to miss Oikawa's constant pestering and entire presence. He wasn't supposed to be going through Oikawa's social media to check if he was dating someone. But here he is, sitting on his couch, feeling and doing everything he's not supposed to, surrounded by the cold air that became his constant company in the four-walled place he calls home.

It's been months since Iwaizumi broke up with Oikawa. However, he still knows what's happening in the latter's life. Watching him play every single day was Iwaizumi's way of coping with the sadness and longing he's been feeling for the entirety of their break-up. He glanced at the clock that was slowly ticking, the only noise Iwaizumi would hear in the house, and saw that it was time to watch the news, sports news, to be exact. Iwaizumi turned his television, ready to watch another one of Oikawa's interviews. Still, instead of seeing a beaming brunette, Iwaizumi was greeted with a news report.

"Professional volleyball player, Oikawa Tooru, was rushed to a hospital at around 8:46 in the evening after fainting in front of his apartment. The reasons as to why the pro player fainted are still unknown,"

Iwaizumi couldn't hear what came after those words. The only thing in his head was the fact that Oikawa was sent to the hospital. Iwaizumi frantically searched for his phone to call Mrs. Oikawa's number, his trembling hands scrolling through the contacts. Iwaizumi could feel his heart beating fast as he waits for Oikawa's mother to pick up. The ringing was making Iwaizumi tap his foot on the floor every time he pauses from pacing.

"Oh, Hajime," Oikawa's other greeted after picking up. Iwaizumi opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out. He could feel a lump in his throat, but no matter how many times he swallows, it never goes away. Silence enveloped them, and Iwaizumi didn't know how to ask without saying anything. Still, Oikawa's mother seems to have understood the situation and gave Iwaizumi the address before ending the call.

Iwaizumi felt his chest tighten when he heard the slight coldness in Mrs. Oikawa's voice. Still, he couldn't blame her. He broke her son's heart. He deserved the indifference Oikawa's mother was giving him.

Iwaizumi rushed to the hospital and asked at the front desk. He was told which room, and when he saw Oikawa lying on the hospital bed with dextrose attached to him, he couldn't help but feel guilty. If only he was there to keep Oikawa grounded, then maybe this wouldn't have happened."What are you doing standing there?" Iwaizumi heard Mrs. Oikawa's voice from behind him. He panicked when he turned and saw her holding a meal in her hand. He didn't know how to act around her anymore. He hasn't seen her nor talked to her after breaking up with Oikawa, making him feel awkward around her.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion," Iwaizumi ended up apologizing with a low bow. He felt her hand on his shoulder, and he raised his head. He could see the dark bags under her bloodshot eyes that weren't there before. She looked like she hasn't slept in days.

"It's fine. You don't have to apologize," She said and gave her a soft smile. It made Iwaizumi wonder if the coldness he felt through the phone was something that his mind thought of because of paranoia.

"Auntie, I-" Iwaizumi started. He wanted to apologize. He felt obliged to, especially after breaking his promise of taking care of Oikawa.

Mrs. Oikawa shook her head and sighed, "I don't know what happened between both of you, but you don't need to apologize," She said softly. Iwaizumi felt his heart clench. She should be mad at him for hurting her son. That's what he thought he deserved.

"Anyway," Oikawa's mother said and stared at the food in her hands. There was uncertainty in her eyes when she looked up at Iwaizumi, "Is it too much to ask," She said and paused to look at her son.