Pride (KageHina)

Pride has always been attached to Kageyama, but that never affected his relationship with Hinata. The ray of sunshine named Hinata Shoyo was one of the few people who accepted everything about Kageyama, including his petty pride. When they argue, Hinata's always the first to apologize. He never liked being in an argument with Kageyama, and every time they were in a serious fight, Hinata couldn't help but cry at home when Kageyama gives him the cold shoulder.

Apologizing first was never an issue for Hinata. He knew Kageyama hated it when they fight as well. It's just that his pride was too great. So, now that Hinata was the mad one, Kageyama didn't know what to do. He's so used to having Hinata apologize that being the one to receive the cold shoulder made him realize how much of an ass he is to Hinata sometimes, but he wanted to make things right. He wanted to be the first one to apologize.

"Oi, boke," Kageyama called out. They just finished closing up the gym, and Hinata was walking with Nishinoya and Tanaka. It's always been that way since they fought, and Kageyama hated it.

"Hmp! We haven't been talking for a week, and that's the first thing you say to me?!" Hinata yells and crosses his arms, lips pouting as he stares at Kageyama.

"Walk home with me, or I'll drag you if you refuse," Kageyama said. He could feel his heart pounding as he waits for what Hinata has to say.

"Fine," Hinata says, and they take a different route from the rest of the team.

Everyone watched as Hinata and Kageyama walk away in silence. Neither of them was talking as they walk down the streets with Hinata pushing his bicycle beside him.

"You asked me to walk with you, but you won't say anything," Hinata says calmly. Kageyama played with the strap of his bag before stopping. He glanced towards Hinata before gritting his teeth.

You can do this. You've practiced in front of the mirror for days.

Kageyama took a deep breath and held Hinata's wrist, pulling him into a tight hug under the lamp post that provided the light. Kageyama's ears and cheeks were burning that the cold breeze wasn't enough to cool them down. He could feel his heart thumping fast and loud, and it scared him that maybe Hinata will notice how nervous he was through the fast beating of his heart.

"I'm sorry, Shoyo," Kageyama whispered, his voice almost inaudible from embarrassment. He tightened his grip on Hinata and buried his face in the crook of his neck, "just talk to me. I hate it when you ignore me,"

That simple apology took every energy Kageyama had left after their practice, but he felt lighter. It felt like a burden had been lifted off his shoulder when he apologized, and only then did he realize how much their fight had affected.

Kageyama felt Hinata's body tremble before his muffled laughter entered Kageyama's ears. The setter pushed Hinata gently away from him. He kept his arms on Hinata's shoulder as he looks at the smile on Hinata's face. Oh, how he missed seeing that smile that was always directed to him.

"Why are you laughing?" Kageyama asked when his ears caught the freed laughter that escaped Hinata's lips. The sound echoes in the empty streets of Miyagi, and Kageyama loved the fact that he was the one who elicited that delicious sound from the sunshine in front of him.

"You sounded like you were about to cry!" Hinata answered with a smile on his face, "you missed me that much, huh?" he then teased as he jokingly elbows Kageyama's side.

The raven-haired boy felt his eyes twitch, and the embarrassment he felt earlier was slowly replaced by fondness when Hinata's bright smile turned into something small. Everyone thought that Hinata's bright wide smile was the most beautiful thing in the world, but to Kageyama, it wasn't because in the five months that they've been dating, he noticed that there's one specific smile that Hinata would give him. It wasn't as bright as the smile he'd give everyone else, but it was the most gorgeous smile he'd ever seen. And the smile he's learned was only he was the one Hinata has now, his lips were curved into a small smile, his eyes soft and gentle and full of love, his cheeks slightly dusted with pink.

"I'm glad you apologized," Hinata admitted, "you do know that sometimes you need to apologize to me too, right?"

"I know," Kageyama replied and reached out to hold Hinata's hands and intertwine their fingers. His decoy's hand felt warm, and he missed having it fill the spaces between his own fingers.

"I love you," Hinata said out of nowhere, which caught Kageyama off guard. Those words were rarely spoken to each other, and the rare times they did say it to each other, the heavier the word felt.

Kageyama's lips slowly curved into a smile without him knowing as he says, "I love you too, boke,"

Hinata smiled, and they continued to walk. Hinata's cheerful smile was back, and so was his loud chattering. Kageyama would yell at him and argue, but deep inside, he was glad he apologized, and that night, he learned that he's capable of lowering his pride if it means making Hinata happy.