4

Floating, drifting, falling. I can see Great great great Grandma's serene face floating before me. "Raena, what is written in the stars cannot be denied. Do not resist fate! The world is balanced..." My memories came to haunt me again. Alana's body, the werewolves' body, David's body...

  You may not understand why I am being haunted by the three werewolves' bodies. Let me explain. Good and bad, black and white, they are not as distinct and straight-forward as you may think. In the war, the werewolves were fighting for what they deemed right. They were not at fault, they should have led longer, better lives if it were not for me. They have never done anything to me nor my family. Blinded by rage and fear, I had taken their lives, just like that. It was a sin and the guilt and regret still lingers.

  My eyes flew open, my heart thumping wildly like a jackhammer, beads of perspiration dotted my forehead and my breath came in rapid bursts. Would my past forever haunt me? Would it ever be gone? I looked around. I was in a spacious, brightly-lit apartment which had pictures of wolves hanging on a few walls. I was lying on a comfy black couch, a blanket wrapped around me. I sat up and winced slightly, clutching my side. I looked down and realised that it was bandaged up neatly and so was my arm. 

  "You're awake." I turned to see James in a comfy navy blue shirt and gray pants. "Don't worry, I didn't bring you to the hospital." 

  I cocked my head at him, frowning. Sure, I was grateful, but I wished to know his reasons. "Why?" I asked curiously. 

  James looked away as he replied, "Oh, you know...Hospitals can be expensive. Why spend the money when I can treat you myself? Besides, they ask too many questions, if they knew of what had happened, I'm worried they would close off the forest." He looked out of the window wistfully. "The forest...it is like my second home." He ducked his head and looked at me with a smile. "Too bad today's a Saturday, otherwise you could have missed school."

  I laughed before looking down at the bandages again. "So...you put on the bandages, huh?" I gave him a mischievous smile. "And you carried me to your home where I bunked in for the whole night." I shook my head in mock disappointment and tutted, "Whatever  will your folks say?"

  A red flush tinged his cheeks and suddenly James could not look at me as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. I guffawed at his reaction before changing form and healing my wounds quickly. The bandages hid my wounds, so I might as well get comfortable, right? I jumped out of the couch cheerfully and piped, "Well, I ought to go home, so...thanks for the stay!" 

  I took my bag and was halfway to the door when he called, "Wait! Lorna," I turned to look at him with a raised brow. "Uh...do you want breakfast?" Wait, did he actually just ask me out on a date?! Nah, that's crazy, he's pretty boy. He'd never  fall for me, right? I ignored the dumb fluttering in my stomach and gave James a careful smile. 

  "Now, honestly, you ought to be more careful, Whyte. You and I, having breakfast together? What would the class say?" I asked dramatically, my hands on my hips, a false smirk twisting my lips. "Wasn't it bad enough that you came and sat with me, setting those rabid dogs who call themselves girls upon me? Now you almost made the whole school of girls pledge their utmost vengeance on me! Really, are you trying to kill me?" 

  I saw the corner of his mouth twitch before he protested, "But---"

  I laughed, winking playfully. "Oh, Jamesie boy, you have to try harder than that to get my time!"  I blew him a kiss and batted my eyelashes at him exaggeratingly before hurrying out of his apartment and leaving him standing in his home, gobsmacked.

  I slammed my apartment's door and blew out a shaky breath as I tried to quieten my thumping heart. He asked me to stay...HE ASKED ME TO STAY!!! Horror filled me up at once. I was so in over my head. Until I looked at my reflection in the mirror and noticed the faintest hint of a blush. I collapsed on the bed, pulling my hair down. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!