i do my lil dancey dance

Christmas Eve arrived quickly.

Elle spent about an hour getting ready with Lily. They were about to leave for the Great Hall when Elle looked in the mirror, and her face fell.

Her scar on her face looked even worse as it contrasted with the lilac color, and her other scar was just visible above her dress.

"What is it, Ellie?" Lily asked, moving to stand next to Elle.

"My scar," Elle said quietly. "My stupid fucking scar that covers my entire face and makes me look like a maniac."

"Ellie," Lily said, cupping her best friend's face. "That scar doesn't define who you are. You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. And if anything, that scar makes you look even hotter."

Elle laughed, hugging Lily. "I don't know what I would do without you, Lilyflower."

James was repeatedly fixing his tie by the Great Hall, pacing nervously back and forth and panicking.

"James," Remus laughed, shaking his head at his friend. "Chill out. You're gonna have fun."

Just then, Elle and Lily walked down the steps toward the Great Hall, and James' heart pretty much stopped. He walked over to her, taking her hand.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he said, smiling at her.

She blushed and smiled up at him. "Thank you, Prongs."

"Remind me why you're not dating?" Lily asked, smirking. Elle smacked her arm, and Lily laughed even more.

Lily found Marlene, and James and Elle made their way inside.

The two of them danced for a while, before eventually going to sit down and get something to drink.

As the two sat and talked, a slow song suddenly came on, and James' face lit up.

"Come on, Ellie," he said, standing up and grabbing her hand. He pulled her to the dance floor, and they started dancing.

James placed his hand on her waist, and her heart stopped. They danced together, gazing into each other's eyes like nothing else mattered.

And at the moment, nothing else did.

Especially when James leaned in and kissed her. And she kissed him back.

And everything else around them seemed to disappear as they kissed, James' hand cupping Elle's soft face.

When they pulled away and gazed into each other's eyes, the cheers around them deafened them. Almost everyone knew that James Potter and Elle Carter fancied each other. But a lot of girls weren't too happy about it.

Elle smiled up at James, her dimples more prominent than ever, and his heart melted. That goddamn smile. It got him every time.

After the dance, James desperately wanted to talk to Elle. He wanted to tell her how beautiful and perfect she was, how in love he was with her.

"Elle," he said as they walked back to the common room. "Can I talk to you?"

"Yeah, of course."

James led her down an empty corridor, shaking with nerves. "I had such an amazing time tonight."

"Me too," Elle smiled up at him.

"I love you, Elle."

Elle's lips parted in surprise, then turned into a smile. "I love you too, James Potter."

And she leaned in, cupping his face and kissing him. 

-

Elle and James could be seen either hugging or holding hands, and everyone assumed they were dating.

They weren't, though. James hadn't asked her out, and it was killing both of them.

"Elle?" a voice called after her as she walked in the hallways. Elle turned around to see Sirius walking towards her.

"Hi, Sirius," Elle said.

"Can we talk? I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. And I miss our friend group so much. I'm so sorry, Elle. I nearly killed you."

"I forgive you, Sirius," Elle said, and Sirius' eyes brightened. "I don't really care that I got hurt. I just care about Remus' condition and people finding out about it. And I don't think the boys are going to forgive you as easily as I did, but they will when they're ready. You just need to talk to them and give them time."

"Thank you, Ellie," Sirius said, nodding. "I'm going to talk to them later."

And he did. And to his surprise, Remus, James, and Peter listened. They listened to him talk and apologize.

"Thank you for apologizing, Pads," Remus said quietly once Sirius had finished.

"I don't expect you guys to forgive me. Especially you, Moony. I fucked up so much. But I'm so, so sorry. And I just want our friend group back."

"I do too," James said. "I want it back more than anything."

"I think we can try," Remus said. "But if you pull some shit like that again, I'm murdering you."

"Fair," Sirius said, grinning. "Sooo, Prongs. You and Elle finally grew eyes?"

"Kind of," Remus groaned before James could say anything. "He still hasn't asked her out. He's basically leading her on."

"I'm not leading her on!" James protested.

"You are, Prongs. You told her how you felt and then pretty much ignored her and didn't ask her out. How do you think she feels about that?" Peter interjected, raising his eyebrows.

James felt a stab of guilt, and he realized Peter was right.