𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦

A black package wrapped in golden ribbon hung from the beak of your owl Toby, as he glided amongst the rafters of the Great Hall. You looked up, bracing yourself for the impact of his landing. Moving aside your plate from breakfast just in time, Toby dropped the parcel onto the Slytherin table. Blaise looked over to you as you gazed wide-eyed at the fancy wrapping.

"What is it," Blaise asked, wiping the corners of his mouth with a napkin. "Who is it from?"

"I think it's from my mum. It's probably the gown I requested for the ball," you said, gliding your fingers across the velvety wrapping.

"Ah, chick stuff," Blaise mocked. You flicked him on the arm and he rubbed the area mockingly as if he had been shot. Daphne looked up from the Daily Prophet she held in her hands, her eyes widening as she noticed the package.

"Is it your gown," Greengrass exclaimed, nearly spitting up her pumpkin juice. You giggled and shook your head.

"I'm pretty sure, yeah," you said happily. "I wonder if my mother chose well."

Pansy, who had been trying to force-feed Draco his food by hand, glanced over to the package as well. "Finally. It's about time you get your gown. The ball is literally tomorrow," Parkinson sneered. You shot her a fake smile before looking at Blaise, who was also staring at Pansy with annoyance.

"Right, well, I am going to go and try this on," you said, lifting yourself out of the bench and heaving the large package off of the table. Daphne slammed her fork down and wiped her mouth.

"I'm coming," she exclaimed. "You're going to need someone to zip that up for you."

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

You and Daphne had placed the package onto your bed. Your fingers hovered over the golden ribbon as you hesitated to reveal the gown your mother had chosen for you. Daphne sighed and lightly hit you with your pillow.

"Open it already," she whined. "The dress isn't going to bite."

"Alright, alright," you said, untying the golden ribbon. You ripped the wrapping off and then slid the lid of the gift box off. You could see the prettiest pigment of emerald green peeking from under the golden tissue paper.

You picked up the small letter that was set on top. Reading it in your head:

(y/n),

I hope you fall in love with this gown as I did when I discovered it. Narcissa and I spent hours picking the absolute most perfect dress for the occasion. Even your father approved of our selection. I am sure that you will look breathtaking as always. Make sure to have a magical night with darling Draco. He is a nice boy. Happy Christmas, my love.

Love,

Mum

You set the letter down on the bed, reaching into the package to pull out the gown. Your mum was right. It was the absolute most perfect dress she could have ever selected. It was as if you had been there all along to guide her in what you imagined your gown to be. Daphne gasped as she feasted her eyes on the elegant dress.

"You have to try that on right now. There's no way that isn't the prettiest dress I have ever seen," Greengrass said, her eyes admiring the dress you were holding up. You shook your head and slipped into the bathroom to put on your gown.

Glancing in the mirror, an inkling of a tear started to fall from your eye. It was everything you had desired. It completed the princess fantasy you had as a little girl. Daphne knocked on the bathroom door before squeezing her way through the door frame. She stood there, mouth hung open. Daphne started to jump up and down and cheer.