31

Penelope

Penelope

Dinner with my parents, Cassian, and Patrick went better than I expected. Mom and Dad adore Patrick, and they spent a good half hour talking about how much we look alike. After that, we played some card games and discussed the issues with Patrick's parents. My biological parents. No one is sure why they kept one child and gave up the other. As the night went on, I started disassociating myself from the relation between me and the name Jules. Yes, it is my middle name and my birth name, but Jules Collins doesn't exist. I'm who I am because of how my parents raised me. Jules Collins is a girl the world will never know. Penelope Montgomery, the woman I am today, is the one who exists. I take pride in knowing who I am and where I stand.

Blowing away the steam from my coffee, I take a timid sip, the steaming liquid stinging my tongue. I set the paper cup down and glance around the mall. People are bustling, trying to finish early Christmas shopping. Décor has been strung along the ceiling; bedazzling snowflakes that glitter beneath the lighting, large boughs of holly and pine replacing the flower and tree pots, and Christmas music trickles in the background. Faces are filled with joyous smiles and the kids seem to have an extra burst of energy as they weave through the tables of chairs of Blenz Coffee.

I used to ridicule people who completed their shopping so early. Shopping in December, with Christmas on the horizon, is much more festive and exciting. Almost magical. But I respect those who complete their shopping early. It adds a much more relaxed vibe to the Holidays. I can honestly say I prefer it as opposed to waiting until the last minute to get gifts. Leaning down, I scoop up my bags and remove each item, placing them back in the bag when I'm finished inspecting them.

For Gemma, I bought a Béis diaper bag. It's something she's going to need before the baby shower which she wants to have a month after the baby's born. If I decide to have kids, I'm copying Gemma's idea. I like the idea of people actually being able to meet my child. Gemma's going to love the bag. It's stylish, making it look more like an oversized purse than a diaper bag. There's also a plethora of storage compartments, as well as a padded pocket for her laptop. 

Jake was tricky to buy for, as he's more of a giver than a receiver. He's vague, always leaving people to guess what he wants. I bought him a collection of Taylor Swift vinyls. He has a record player in his office he uses frequently. He's also a big fan of Taylor Swift, so that's that. I stuff the vinyls back in the diaper bag, setting it on the floor.

I continue to rifle through the presents. With business climbing, I've gone overboard this year. Mom's diamond pendant necklace sparkles as I carefully place it back in the velvet box. Dad's going to love his new watch. I even bought something for Patrick—a new tool belt. I noticed how worn and stained his was at work. I also threw in a Yeti water bottle. His current water bottle has taken on some rough damage.

When I remove the presents I bought for Cassian, I lay them out across the table, wondering if he's going to like them. Despite his city vibe, he loves the outdoors. He enjoys hiking, fishing, camping, and ATVing. On my lap, I spread out the Yamaha sweater I bought him. It's a dark green, similar to the quad he owns. From time to time, he goes out with his friends from high school. Hopefully, he likes the sweater. Next, there's the dark green Yeti water bottle. Yes, I also bought one for Cassian. I've used Yeti products for years, and I can confirm they're worth the money. I lay a few more items out on the table: a wallet, some cotton T-shirts, a new pair of hiking boots.