3

Cassian

Cassian

"You did what?"

I slump against the wall, a quirky grin on my face and a muffin in my hand, as I wait for the contractor to arrive. "You heard me," I reply to Jake. We're FaceTiming, and I'm trying not to feel jealous of the genuine tropical backdrop that's behind him, and the sun-kissed skin tone both he and Gemma have. Even if it's their honeymoon, they're a couple of lucky asses. I'd kill to be in Thailand instead of overlooking construction, renovations, and the overall foundation of our business. "We got the fucking partnership, man. You should have seen Penelope. She was outstanding in her field. I think she's the reason we got it."

I keep the part about me not paying attention to half the meeting behind closed lips. While Penelope was blathering on about the division of assets and other company bullshit, I was focused on Ophelia and her natural viper-esque attitude. I'll bet she's a force to be reckoned with in the business world. Other wineries in the Okanagan must cower when they see her.

"Cassian," Jake says. "Quit not giving yourself credit. Sustainability is a prominent factor all businesses must consider today. I'm sure your knowledge on the topic wooed Ophelia and her team."

"Don't forget his rugged charm!" Gemma calls. "That goddamned rugged charm."

"Hey, Gemma," I say. "How's Thailand treating you?"

Her sigh echoes through the microphone. "I never want to leave. I could live on the beach and eat mangoes and bananas for the rest of my life. Convincing Jake to stay forever will be difficult, but I think I can manage. There are ways to tempt him." I can hear the wicked grin in her voice.

I stare directly into the camera, locking eyes with Jake. "Don't listen to her. She's trying to make you ditch me. I'll haunt you if you ditch me, man."

Jake chuckles. "I wouldn't leave you to drown, Cass. We created this business together, and I don't plan on bailing any time soon."

While we chuckle, I saunter over to the large floor-to-ceiling window and gaze at the view. After spending time in the Okanagan throughout the summer, I'm preferring it compared to Saanich. I like the semi-arid climate and the freshwater beaches. The heat and sunshine are a blessing compared to the constant rain on the Island. A lot of tourists visit, but the historic, tree-lined streets and natural beauty give West Kelowna a small-town feel. The house Penelope and I are renting has also wooed me. I like the location; we're within walking distance of the winery, beach access, library, and several restaurants and stores. I was skeptical at first when Penelope suggested staying here to oversee the renovations. Now, I want to buy a more lavish place with my salary and create a permanent residence.

"Anyway," Jake says. He adjusts the ball cap he's wearing and wipes a bead of sweat from his forehead. "What are you doing today? Is work already beginning? You're going with the original renovation plans, right?"