20

Penelope

Penelope

On Monday, Cassian buys our usual muffin, strudel, and coffee before we go to the winery. It's strange to be on the receiving end, but I'm not complaining. The accumulation has taken a hit on my bank account. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop doing it. Enjoying coffee and sweets every morning we work has become a tradition. I enjoy sharing a tradition with Cassian.

"You didn't have to buy today," I smile, nudging him in the ribs.

He gives me a look. "A simple thank-you will suffice."

"Thanks," I chuckle, taking a sip of my coffee.

The fiery liquid sends a wave of warmth through my body, combating the crisp October air as we walk to the entrance of Utterly Uncorked. It's early—so early there's still frost on the browning grass. Aside from Cassian and I, there are few people here. When I scour the parking lot for Patrick's truck, I don't see it. Disappointment pokes at my mind. I'd been hoping to talk to him before he clocked in. Because of Cassian and Jake's commitment to Elemental Coffee, I want to incorporate a mural in amongst the design. I have finalized no ideas yet, but I'm leaning towards including a rustic map of their accomplishments. It'll be formatted to fit both Cassian and Jake's lineages. It's always good to show a bit of history, as it appeals to society's natural affinity for curiosity. But I want to run my idea by Patrick and see what he thinks. He's been building and designing for years. The experience under his belt will benefit me.

"You're welcome," Cassian smiles, nudging me back.

I don't know what's gotten in to Cassian since our night at the pumpkin patch. Ever since I woke up, my jacket hung on the hook behind the door and my shoes tucked away, he's been acting strange. There are moments where I catch him gazing at me. It's a gaze that makes my toes tingle. I also wonder if he can see right through me. If he can tell I'm stressed and calculating my next move regarding meeting my biological parents. The thought terrifies me, but Patrick and I deserve answers. He deserves to know why he grew up without a sister. I deserve to know why they gave me up for adoption.

That being said, there's also a part of me wondering if he's realized I'm in love with him. His gaze is like the one Jake gives Gemma when she's not looking. On Jake, it's easy to tell it represents his love for Gemma. Cassian? That's a different story. It's difficult to differentiate between care and love. I know he cares about me, but do the roots of his caring meld with love? I can't tell.

When we arrive at the front door, Cassian holds it open for me. I mutter my appreciation and then step inside, exhaling when warmth welcomes me. Although I love to snowshoe and snowboard, I'm not big on cold temperatures. Yes, it makes me a hypocrite. But I would much rather be hiking or wake boarding. I refuse to let myself turn into a helpless oaf over the winter, though. Amid my random tangents of thought, I find myself inside the coffee shop.

"Wow," Cassian says, taking his place next to me. "It already looks so different."

I nod in agreement. Now that we have gutted the place and the bases of the countertops have been installed, Elemental Coffee's new location is looking like a coffee shop. At least, it's starting to. I take another sip of my coffee, and then a bite of strudel. "It'll look better once the renovations are complete," I reply. "But you're right. It's a major improvement compared to last week. I feel like I can finally breathe without inhaling drywall dust."