4

Penelope

Penelope

Two weeks have passed since we got the partnership. Now that we have all the required permits, renovations have begun and my dad is here for a visit.

My dad pulls me in for a hug. "How's my baby girl?"

I accept the affection and don't argue with the baby-girl comment. Although he's not my biological father, I was a baby when he and mom adopted me. Therefore, I will always be his baby, which I'm okay with. Maybe not throughout my teenage years, but now I appreciate the nickname. "Hey, Dad," I smile. "How are you?"

"I'm excellent." He holds me at arm's length. "You look... happier than the last time I saw you." He lowers his voice. "Did you find another lead on your biological parents?"

A smile curves my lips as a cloud of drywall dust dissipates into the air. During his lunch break, Dad stopped by Utterly Uncorked to see how Cassian and I were doing with the project. So far, aside from the drywall dust and broken stone, there isn't much to see. Project aside, I love how Dad supports me. It's tough for an adoptive family to comprehend the importance of finding your biological family, but Mom and Dad have been supportive through it all.

"No," I reply.

He gives me a sympathetic smile. "That's too bad."

I wave his comment off. Discussing my biological parents is a can of worms I don't want to open up. I have better issues to deal with. "I'm happy because Cassian and I got the partnership, as you can see."

My dad is well aware of the antics regarding the business world. So when a smile spreads across his lips and he gives my arm a reassuring squeeze, I know he really means it. Truth be told, it wasn't easy to win the partnership. Cassian and I had to fight with our teeth and nails, and I know it's going to pay off. Elemental Coffee has a reputation in British Columbia, and it's only going to get bigger as we continue to expand.

"It is amazing," Dad smiles. "I'm proud of you, kiddo."

"Where's Mom?" I ask, deflecting his compliment. I've always been terrible at accepting compliments. Besides, my happiness is an act. One I'm succeeding at. The truth is, I'm stuck in a rut of emotional turmoil—today's been the worst Monday of my life. And not because I'm breathing in drywall dust or because I started my period. For the past two weeks, I've been listening to Cassian blab on and on about his upcoming business date with Ophelia. I've been supporting him and telling him he's going to have a fantastic time with his ex-crush. I told him their relationship might turn into something more than a rekindled friendship.

Sometimes, I hate how supportive I can be.

But I could never diminish Cassian's light. It would break my heart to hurt him and spew lies when I can't predict future outcomes. All morning, he's been ecstatic about tonight.

I turn my back to Dad and sigh, staring at the disaster before me. The area is a disaster. Paint cans are piled high in the corner, packaged boxes of hardwood are strewn across the entrance. I'm up to my neck in things that need to be done, and my own emotions I can't seem to separate from work.