19

Cassian

Cassian

Penelope falls asleep on the ride home, leaving me to battle with internal turmoil.

Head screwed on right, my ass.

If Pen's words held any accountability, I wouldn't be questioning my feelings. I don't know if she noticed my moment of hesitation before I climbed into the vehicle, but I'm hoping she didn't. Despite my ignorance toward Halloween, I had an enjoyable time with her. And her questioning my hesitance would only complicate things. I didn't want to climb into the vehicle. I couldn't tear my gaze away from her full lips or her supportive attitude. Penelope has a way with people; no matter who you are or what you're discussing, she can always make you feel welcome. The entire night felt different. I'm not blaming this on Pen—she was the same outgoing woman I enjoy spending time with. Something's different with me. I can't put my finger on what, but I think it has something to do with my inability to stop thinking about Pen.

Glancing over my shoulder, I turn my indicator on and switch into the left lane. The turnoff down to our rental house is coming up soon. I rub my neck, coasting to a stop. A sigh escapes my lips. Tonight felt more like a date than a friendly outing.

And there was a lot of touching.

Touching I can't make sense of despite it being innocent.

I flex my hand against the steering wheel, feeling the lasting effects of her touch.

God, when did hand-holding become intimate?

When the turning light changes to green, I make the turn through the intersection and drive past McDonalds and several other chain restaurants. We're heading down a winding hill toward the docks, a popular place where teenagers hang out during the summer—according to Penelope. I glance at her, worry creasing my brow when I see the awkward angle her neck is bent at. The way the seatbelt digs into her skin. Although she's oblivious, she looks uncomfortable. There's nothing I can do, though. Pushing aside my worry, I continue to drive down the hill. At the bottom, I take a left. The road takes me along the lakeside, past the docks and beach houses. I pass a trailer park and then a condominium before I'm able to take a right. The back roads are quieter, giving me a sense of peace. And when I see the house we're renting up ahead, I breathe a sigh of relief. While tonight was fun, I'm looking forward to going to bed. The drive back from Vernon in the dark was stressful. I've never been a fan of driving at night.

Once I've parked in the driveway, I kill the engine and pocket the keys. I then climb out of my SUV and jog around to the passenger's side. Waking Pen up is something I want to avoid, so I'm careful when I unbuckle her seatbelt and pull her into my arms. She stirs, rubbing her cheek against my jacket. A soft moan-like noise is expelled from her mouth before she falls back into a peaceful sleep.

Slamming the car door behind me, I carry Pen in through the front door, careful to not hit her head on the framing of the entrance. I kick my shoes off so I don't trudge mud through the house. I'm heading for Penelope's room. As I carry her, I can't help but acknowledge how delicious she smells. It's sweet, but not sickening. It reminds me of the cinnamon bannock Mom makes; there's a hint of fried oil combined with spices like cinnamon or allspice, and sugar. She smells like home, fresh air, and a fair. I'm tempted to bury my face in her hair and inhale.