Ch. 3

Arysa's head snapped up off her folded arms at the slam of the door. She looked up with half-lidded eyes, brushing her hair out of her face.

"Relax." The physician said, "It's just me."

Arysa turned back to her cousin. She'd fallen asleep kneeling at his bedside. Her face was red and lined from her the pillow she'd made out of her arms and the edge of the bed. She still wore the evening gown she'd stained with tears and wine, and her make-up was smudged beneath her eyes.

"How long have I-"

"The sun's almost about to rise." The old man cut her off.

Arysa lifted herself to her feet. She felt horribly weak, but she'd stayed too long.

"You don't have to go." The physician placed his bag down on the end of Demain's bed. "No one will hold it against you if you stay."

"I can't." Arysa replied quietly. Her eyes lingered on her cousin's pale face. "As much as I want to, there are thing I must take care of." She sighed. "He hasn't worsened, has he?"

The physician shook his head. "No, but he hasn't bettered either. It's a grim sign, Lady."

Arysa uttered goodbye and left her cousin to the physician's care. Outside her bedroom door she found Idaly arguing with the guards.

"I order you to grant me audience with the princess." He snapped. "I don't care what's proper or protocol. Let me in."

The guard's stiffened to attention when they heard the click of Arysa's heels down the hall. Idaly turned, startled to find the princess in such a ragged state.

Arysa stopped before the three of them. "Ember. Coran. You are dismissed. I don't required your services any longer. Go home to your families."

The two guards shifted uncomfortable. "My Lady, Lord Dreadroot-" Coran started.

"Never mind," She bit out, "Come," she spoke to Idaly as she entered her room.

The young soldier followed tentatively, caution in every light step he took. Arysa turned to face him.

"What is it now?"

Idaly didn't speak. His mouth opened, but his words ran dry, his tongue like paper. His eyes followed every crease in her figure, his brows wrinkled. Arysa cleared her throat impatiently and his eyes snapped back up to hers.

"I want to see General Rosewood." He said stiffly, but his voice wavered. "I know you have him locked in the dungeons. I believe I have a right to visit my General, no matter the circumstance."

"Fine."

Idaly's brows arched in surprise. "F-fine?" He repeated.

"Did you not hear the first time?" Arysa retorted.

She left him and went to the vanity. She poured a dab of oil on a cloth and wiped the powders off her face. Then she unclipped her hair and let her ash blonde locks fall down her shoulders and in front of her eyes. She waved Idaly aside as she passed towards her wardrobe. She picked out a casual dress and changed behind the panel. Then she nodded Idaly after her and exited her room. The guards glanced at her.

"Where are y-"

"None of your business, Ember."

They didn't say anything more. Idaly matched her quick pace through the halls and to the dungeon. It felt different this time as Arysa passed down the dark murky corridor. The silence weighed more heavily upon her shoulders. The drip of water thundered louder in her ears. When she reached his cell she stopped.