Ch. 32

Winn Darkthorn found her. She came to Arysa's door and rushed inside after finding the guards passed out on the floor. She dropped to the floor beside Arysa and tried to touch her shoulder, but Arysa flinched violently. She glanced up at Winn, but she didn't relax. She couldn't relax. Her body shook with her sobs and she wrapped her arms around herself, holding tight to her own body.

"Arysa," Winn murmured. "Arysa, you need to get up."

Arysa shook her head. "I can't." She whispered. "I can't."

Winn Darkthorn's brows creased in sympathy. "You have to."

She offered Arysa her hand and Arysa bitterly wiped her tears away and wrapped her fingers around the general's. They got to their feet and Winn fixed Arysa's hair and adjusted her clothes.

"Come with me." She said.

She led Arysa out of her room and through the castle halls. The sun was just beginning to peek up over the horizon, bathing the castle in soft orange rays. Darkthorn brought her out into their largest courtyard, the courtyard where the 200 Vella were murdered, but instead of the Vella lined up in rows on the grass, the entire castle guard stood at attention, one after another, waiting.

"What are you doing?" Arysa stopped. "What's going on?"

Winn turned to her, her eyes pressing.

"You need to tell them the truth, Arysa." She said. "They will not give up their loyalty without good reason. You have to tell them what's going on. You have to tell them who the real enemy is."

Arysa took a step back. "No--no, I can't. I won't. It's too risky."

Darkthorn stepped towards her. "You must."

Arysa's eyes slid past her, to the hundreds of guards lined up in the courtyard. She remembered Demian's words, words said so long ago in the dark of the dungeon.

"That thing I swore I would never do? Do it."

She swallowed back her fear and steeled herself, knowing what she had to do. She swore to herself she would never do this, but she was no closer to a solution and she was running out of time. The war was getting closer every second and she needed her kingdom back.

She stepped out into the courtyard, before the guards, with ragged hair and tear stained eyes, her clothes wrinkled and dirty. She hardened her eyes and straightened her back and she remembered everything her brother had taught her about what it meant to be a leader. General Darkthorn stayed by her side, a step behind her, her arms behind her back, her chin high.

Arysa reached the center of the courtyard and faced the soldiers. She took in a deep breath and then she spoke.

"Loyal soldiers of Rahaida. You have been steadfast and strong during these times of duress. I could not have asked for a better legion of guards to protect this castle and its people.

"However, I have not been honest with you. Prince Demian, General Ashlyn, and myself have been keeping a grave secret from you. And we were wrong to do so. Our mistake cost my brother his life, but it will cost us no more loss. What I am about to tell you will be hard to hear, but it is necessary that you know. From the very beginning, you have deserved to know, and I had no right to keep this from you. I thought it would keep our kingdom safe, and I was wrong. And I swear to you, there will be no more secrets. This kingdom will be one built on honesty and truth and together we will preserve and protect that legacy."

The guards did not move from their positions, but she could see from their eyes the uncertainty, curiosity, and even fear they harbored.

"I know many of you have suspected. There have been rumors. But it is time you hear the truth, the full truth.