Bonus Chapter 2: Abandon the Mission

Merry Christmas ;)

He peered around the pillar at Princess Arysa and her brother Prince Ashlyn. He watched as her face lit up as she laughed, and her eyes sparkled as she spoke so fast her brother could barely keep up. He couldn't hear what she was saying, only the soft murmur of her voice, but it made him smile anyway.

He shouldn't be doing this. He knew he shouldn't be doing this.

He had a task, a mission.

But he couldn't get her out of his head.

Every time he caught sight of her something twisted in his chest. He craved her presence, and those few moments she graced him with it, he treasured.

But he needed to focus. He didn't have the time to waste on anyone, even her.

She left her brother and started down the hall in his direction and he ducked behind the pillar. She passed him, headed towards the library, and, against his better judgment, he followed.

She perched on a reading chair, devouring her most recent conquest, and he walked up and down the shelves, pretending to brouse as he watched her. Finally, she looked up.

"Lord Dreadroot?"

He turned, acting startled. "Princess Arysa, I didn't see you there." He chuckled.

She smiled. "Looking for a new read?"

He shrugged. "It's a decent way to pass the time. I don't have much to do here."

"I could offer a few suggestions?" She arched a brow.

"I appreciate that, thank you."

She gestured him towards her and placed down her book. She bent down and shuffled through a pile of books at her feet. "These are the books I've just recently read. I know there was one in here that was absolutely spectacular. Oh! Here it is." She triumphantly lifted a book and held it out to him. "Be careful though. I got so lost in that one I didn't sleep until I finished it."

He chuckled. "Well, I'll make sure I set aside some time for sleep."

She leaned back in her chair. "Oh, and Serden?"

"Hm?"

He lifted his gaze from the book, meeting hers.

"If you ever have nothing to do, I could always use some help in my duties."

He lit up. "Truly?" She nodded. "That would be wonderful, thank you."

She chuckled. "But don't think I won't put you to work."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

She waved him to the chair beside hers and he settled in, opening the book and turning to the first page, but he barely read a word. He watched her, her gentle fingers paging through her novel, brows creased in concentration, her teeth biting just barely on her lower lip, eyes sparkling with adventure.

He knew he shouldn't be doing this.

But he didn't seem able to stop.

-

He stepped onto the balcony, silent as a ghost, and his cloak swirled behind him.

"Prince Demian." He said, and the two figures leaning on the railings jumped.

Prince Demian whirled around, and Princess Arysa moved to lean on her side, observing the exchange.

"Your father asked for your presence." Serden murmured.