Ch. 11

Eventually he turned back, hauled her to her feet and dragged her after him to the dungeons. He hadn't given up on his original mission. Take her to her cousin. Prove he wasn't lying. Rub his power in her face. As if he needed to. She was at his mercy. They both knew it. She might act strong, but all he had to do was say one name and she'd break. It was her weakness. It was all of theirs. How much they cared for each other would destroy them.

They went deep into the dungeons, deeper than she'd ever gone before, deeper than anyone had gone for years. The guards' eyes followed them, but these soldiers were loyal to the king, to his advisor. They wouldn't care if their prince were thrown in the dungeons. They wouldn't care their General was lying in a coma. They wouldn't care the princess was being dragged by Serden Dreadroot. She could see it in their eyes.

Arysa knew when they arrived. Serden's grip tightened on her arm and his body tensed. The air thickened and the darkness grew even darker. He used his torch to light the racks on the walls and turned to face one of the cells.

"Oh, Prince Demain." Serden called mockingly. "I've brought a very special guest to see you."

"Whatever game you're playing, I want no part in it." Demain hissed. Arysa could just barely make out the outline of his shoulders.

Serden chuckled quietly. "Are you sure about that?"

He threw Arysa into the bars and she cried out as the iron struck the bruised side of her face. Demain lurched upward at her cry and spun around, but when he reached for her through the bars, Serden grabbed the back of her dress and yanked her back to him.

"Let her go, you monster." Demain snarled. His eyes ran over her, scouring for injuries, for any sign Serden had hurt her more. She was pale and bruised and in pain, but standing.

"No, that's not part of the plan." Serden replied casually. "We actually came because Arysa here refused to believe me when I told her what you told the court. But you can clear this little misunderstanding up, can't you?" His sly smile mocked them.

Demain stepped back, a mask falling over his features. Arysa jerked out of Serden's hold and stepped up to the bars. She held onto them to support herself. Her eyes searched her cousin's.

"Em—" She breathed, but she saw the truth in his distance. She pulled away. "Please, tell me you didn't. You couldn't."

His silence tore through her. Betrayal settled deep inside her heart.

"You know what this will do to me." She stepped back, her disbelief rising in her voice. "Why would you—? How could you—? No."

His eyes found hers. He stepped up to the bars. "I'm sorry, Rysa. I'm sorry."

She shook her head. "I can't believe this. I can't believe you. This isn't you. You've never been the one to let anger get the best of you. That's not you. Em, please—"

There was something stubborn in his gaze, resilient, insistent.

"You know that thing I swore I would never do?" He whispered.

Her brows furrowed. "What are you—?"

"Do it."

Her eyes widened as she realized. "No—Demain, I can't—"

But his eyes were hard. She shook her head and when she stepped back she bumped into Serden's chest. She tried to turn, but his fingers curled around her arms and she stiffened. Demain's eyes snapped to him.

"Get your hands off of her." He hissed.

Serden chuckled. "No, actually, I'd rather not."

He pulled her to his side and ran the back of his hand down her cheek. Only when his fingers touched her lips did she turn away.