Chapter 28

Julia's POV

Everything felt numb.

As the water continued to slowly swallow me in, my arms hopelessly wailed around me.

I needed to try and swim but something in the back of my brain told me to stop trying.

What was the point of living?

My family was bankrupt, the business was down the drain, and I now had to marry that stupid, ignorant loser.

There was no point.

I had nothing left.

"Julia"

I could hear my name being called from a distance but every sound was being blocked out by the crashing of the waves.

I could feel my body starting to sink, my head almost fully submerged underwater.

I felt faint, utterly weak.

Maybe it was time to let everything go.

I closed my eyes, ready for the eternal peace that was soon to come.

But it never came as I was jolted awake by two hands roughly grabbing my waist.

I opened my eyes and saw the man who I once deeply hated, a look of concern playing in his eyes.

He was saying something but my body was in too much shock to comprehend his words.

I felt him pull me closer, enveloping me with his warmth.

"It's okay. Just hold on" I distantly heard him say.

My head started spinning as everything around me went dark.

I can't believe he saved me.

~ ~ ~

"Her body temperature dropped below 85 degrees, which caused severe hypothermia"

I heard voices.

They were distant but I could hear them.

"We performed a peritoneal lavage and put her on warmed IV fluids. Her body started warming up after a while so we moved her out of the ICU"

I was in the ICU? What happened to me?

I tried to move but everything felt frozen.

Why can't I move?

"When can we take her home?"

That sounded like my father.

I tried to open my eyes but it was like they were glued shut.

"Her body has been through a lot. I wouldn't suggest even considering taking her home until the end of next week"

The end of next week? Did I break a bone or something. Was I on painkillers?

I tried harder to open my eyes.

Please Julia, open your eyes.

"Next week? She was swimming in cold water. How does that affect her body this much?"

I heard a frustrated sigh.

"Sir, your daughter was in freezing, cold water for more than 20 minutes. Her body could not handle the intense pressure caused by the cold water. She suffered severe hypothermia. She's lucky to be alive right-"