Chapter 30

It had been three days since the engagement party. 

Jared and I were currently at the Cunning mansion, having dinner with his crazy mom. 

I thought the engagement party was awful, but the dinner with his mom was torturous.

Jared's mother, Amelia, was seated in front of me, sending me a death glare every now and then.

Jared was sitting next to me, his eyes never leaving his phone while Liza was in front of her brother, a look of boredom apparent on her face as she played with the food on her plate.

"I can't believe you're doing this Jared. You're only 19 and you're getting married? You must be out of your mind," Amelia roared, frowning at her son.

Jared didn't even look up.

I can't believe he put me in this awkward position. His mother was making me uncomfortable but he didn't even care.

"Mom, just stop!" Liza whined but her mother didn't stop there.

"This is the last time I want to see your face. You're not worthy of joining this family!" she spat furiously.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. I let go of my fork and folded my arms in front of my chest. "You think I want to join your family? I don't care about you, your title, or your name! I had no choice in the matter so stop coming at me!" I said grimly with cold eyes.

She looked like she wanted to punch me in the face. I could tell she was trying to control her anger because her hands were in fists.

"Why you little piece of-" she started but Jared cut her off.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop intervening. Everything has already been decided so stop."

"You don't understand what you're putting yourself into. I'm just trying to protect you!" she scoffed, banging her hands on the table.

Jared finally pocketed his phone and looked up to face his mom.

"I don't need your protection. You weren't there when I needed you so you have no right to even talk about protecting me. Just go back to Paris. We don't need you here."

She rolled her eyes. "Stop acting like this. I left so you and Liza could-"

"Liza and I could what?" He questioned angrily. "If you did it for me and Liza, then you should've taken us with you. But you didn't so that evidently means you left for yourself. To protect your dignity and image."

She just glared at him.

Liza put her head down on the table as she watched the argument that was unfolding in front of us.

"Does taking over the company really mean that much to you? You're willing to chain yourself to someone you don't love just so you can be at the top?" she asked incredulously. 

Jared merely glanced at me and then answered his mother with a straight, emotionless face.

"Yes."

I looked away from him and sighed.

Why did I expect him to say something else?

Gosh, he's such a loser.

Amelia slammed the table and stood up. "Fine, have it your way. I warned you Jared. You're going to regret this," she seethed.

Jared also stood up and buttoned his sweater. "I'll have Roger fly you out tomorrow morning. Don't bother showing up for graduation. We don't need you here."