Chapter Fifty Four

Cress hadn't ever seen Cinder smile so much. She hadn't stopped smiling since she and Kai turned and walked back down the isle as husband and wife. Here they were almost three hours later at the reception and she was still grinning ear to ear. Cress and Jacin were granted honorary wedding party seats at the table with the rest of them, though Jacin and Winter had spent the majority of the time dancing.

At some point, in between her dance partners, Iko dragged Cress onto the floor for some snappy tango she was determined to teach her.

Cress tried not to pay attention to anyone around her as she stumbled through the routine, though she caught Carswell taking pictures of her. She kept shooting him faces to stop, but he ignored her.

Carswell finally came to her rescue as the music slowed and the lights dimmed.

Tired from all the dancing in addition to going nonstop pretty much the entire week, Cress leaned heavily against Carswell until they weren't so much dancing as they were swaying. He held her tightly and she felt his cheek rest on the top of her head.

"Last one's standing," he murmured.

Cress smirked. "Not for long," she reminded him.

Carswell squeezed her in a quick pulse.

Five minutes till midnight, another team of waiters came around and begun passing out glasses of champagne.

Carswell took two and handed one to Cress, resting his hand on the small of her back and turning them to face Kai and Cinder who had taken their places towards the front of the room.

"I'm going to keep this short," Kai started. "Thank you all for joining me and Cinder for the celebration of another year. One that, for me anyway, is off to a better start than last year."

A series of gentle laughs echoed around the room.

"So." Kai kissed Cinder on the side of her head before he and Cinder both held their glasses up. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year!" everyone echoed.

Cress glanced at the massive clock just off to the side—old fashioned and using actual hands instead of digital projection. Easily second era. The second hand ticked up towards the twelve and when it did, cheers erupted around the room. Outside the window, fireworks exploded in the night sky.

"Happy New Year, Damsel."

Cress grinned, turning excitedly to Carswell. "Happy New Year, Captain."

He ducked his head to kiss her and Cress wished she had both her hands free to hold him better.

"Happy New Year!" Winter cried as she snuck up behind Cress and gave her a hug. Cress smiled smugly to herself when Carswell didn't so much as blush.

"What?"

Cress shook her head, stretching up to kiss him again. "Nothing." She took his hand and started toward the balcony.

"Where are you dragging me?"

"To watch the fireworks!"

Carswell followed after her.

As she passed the desert table, Cress paused to grab an entire bottle of sparkling apple cider—not champagne—while Carswell grabbed a handful of cookies and brownies.

The cool evening air felt good in contract to the warm air inside. It was much quieter, too.

Cress stood beside the banister, grinning as Carswell stood opposite her. She held up her glass of untouched champagne and Carswell gently clanked his against hers.

"Come on, let's sit." Carswell groaned, taking her wrist and pulling her down to the ground.

Cress's dress poofed around her as she took a seat and the stone was cold through her tights. They could still see the fireworks from where they were and she grinned.

"Cookie or brownie?"

"Brownie." Cress set her glass down and took a sip of the apple cider. She didn't like the taste of alcohol or how it made her throat warm. Apple cider was better and she liked the feel of the carbonation.

"Gimme." Carswell reached a hand towards the bottle.

"I just drank out of it."

"So?"

Cress shrugged, passing it over.

"I had my tongue down your throat an hour ago, germs are hardly a concern." He added with an eyeroll.

Cress laughed, covering her mouth so the bit of brownie she had in her mouth wouldn't fall out.

Carswell winked, grinning and looking like he was about to burst into laughter. He took a sip of the cider, handing the bottle back to her and grabbing a cookie from their stash.

Cress glanced up at the fireworks, amazed at the beauty of them. Some even exploded into shapes—hearts, a full earth complete with the continents and oceans, stars, and ships.

The show ended but far away Cress could still hear the music and laughing and shouting of the people celebrating both in the streets and in the ball just behind them.

Carswell scooted back so he could lean against the wall and Cress followed. She rested her head on his shoulder, glad when he snaked an arm around her waist.

"Oh stars, I thought we'd be the first ones out here." Scarlet groaned as she and Wolf slipped outside.

Carswell scoffed. "Hardly. Take a seat. Cookie?"

"No thanks." Scarlet murmured as she and Wolf sank down on the other side of the doors.

"I'll take one." Wolf said.

Cress tossed him one.

"Where are you two off to tomorrow?" Carswell asked, leaning his head back.

"Home."

"Really? So soon?"

Scarlet nodded. "When are you guys leaving? Wait, where are you living?"

"We're not sure yet. Somewhere in the Republic, hopefully."

"And where it rains a lot," Cress added.

"That's exciting."

"What's exciting?" Kai asked as he and Cinder stepped outside to join the party.

"Hey, there're the newly weds!" Carswell grinned.

Cress, Scarlet, and even Wolf all "woo-hooed" and clapped.

Kai and Cinder both laughed, taking up a free spot on the ground.

"Cress and Thorne are apartment hunting in the Republic," Wolf said.

"That is exciting. Where?"

"Somewhere it rains a lot," Scarlet replied, grinning.

"Ooh, you'll have to have a house party when you guys get settled."

Cress perked up. "Yes! Ooh, maybe Iko will help me decorate and get some ideas."

"What are you volunteering me for?" Iko asked, poking her head outside.

Cinder waved her out. "Decorating Cress and Thorne's apartment."

"I didn't know you guys found an apartment."

"We didn't. Not yet, I was just thinking when we do maybe you'd help me get some ideas?"

Iko nodded, grinning. "Stars yes!"

Cress squealed.