Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Eight

Cress tugged a hoodie over her head and then stepped into her fuzzy boots. It was freezing outside and rain was pouring down. She really should have worn her rainboots but they weren't very comfortable.

"Should we stop and get donuts or something for everyone?" Cress asked.

"Nah."

"Oh come on! I need to score some points with your crew. I want them to get in their heads that whenever Cress comes, it's a party."

"Ah, I see the dilemma. Alright, we'll make a stop for donuts and coffee."

Cress grinned, stretching up to kiss him. He took her hand as they started downstairs, pulling his jacket on and then pulling Cress's blue knit hat over her hair. 

"I'm glad we brought Portia with us," Cress said as they descended into the tenants garage. He'd originally planned on leaving the car in LA but decided against it at the last minute.

"Would you stop calling her Portia?"

"Why, I thought that's what we decided her name was."

"No you decided that's what to name it."

"It's funny! Portia the Porsche," Cress said around a giggle.

Carswell rolled his eyes, clearly trying to hide a smile. He backed the car from the garage and out into the storm. They stopped at the nearest donut shop and picked up an assorted dozen and six coffee's.

"We've got creamer and stuff at the office," he said, taking the box of donuts so Cress could get in the car. He passed them over once she was buckled and then walked around to the other side.

"Cool. Aces these smell good." Cress heaved a sigh, sinking back into her seat. She watched the rain hitting against the windshield. She'd just opened her mouth to ask what Carswell was going to be working on when the tiniest cramp settled in her stomach. She must have eaten something that didn't agree with her, except she hadn't had anything to eat since last night. Maybe she was hungry.

Carswell swung into the office parking lot and both he and Cress hurried into the building where it was warm and dry.

"Hey all, I found this hot girl wandering around downstairs with donuts and coffee," Carswell said as he shoved the studio door open. "Thought I'd invite her up."

"Hey, Cress!" Alex said, looking up from his desk. "Ooh, perfect timing, I'm starving."

"We got tons." Cress grinned. She set the box of donuts on the coffee cart.

"You hanging out with us again?"

Cress nodded. Her eyes flickered to Vanessa, scribbling something down, and then another guy across the room who she didn't recognize.

"Sorry, Thad--this is my wife, Cress. Cress, Thad's the newest addition; our special affects mixer."

"Oh nice."

Thad dipped his head in a nod, though he kept silent. Which Cress understood. She was always nervous to meet new people too.

"Did you get the revisions I sent back?" Carswell asked, shrugging out of his jacket and hanging it up.

"Yeah. Looks good."

Carswell started talking with Alex and Thad, and then another guy walked in who joined in, while Cress settled on one of the spare chairs that she suspected Carswell kept just for her since she never saw anyone else in it.

"Donuts are stale," Vanessa muttered as soon as Carswell walked into the recording booth.

"Oh yeah? I didn't notice," Thad said.

Vanessa chucked her entire donut-minus-one-bite into the trash and dusted her hands off.

Cress inwardly cringed, feeling bad. She should have made sure the donuts were freshly made. She hoped the coffee was good, but Vanessa didn't have any. Maybe she wasn't drinking caffeine or something. With a shrug, Cress opened her tablet and started on some more homework.

Of course, as soon as Carswell started talking she had to stop and listen, eliciting several half-hearted glares from him that she immediately returned. From what she could tell, it seemed like he'd gotten at least two full episodes recorded by the time they broke for lunch.

"Sounds good," Cress said with a grin.

"Still can't talk you into co-hosting with me?"

"Not all the time, but I told you I'd do a few episodes here and there. But I like you doing it by yourself! You're so good at it and I like to listen to you. And so does she," Cress added with a nod to her stomach.

Carswell scoffed.

"She does!" Cress stooped for her sweater at the same time Carswell pulled on his jacket. "One time I took my earphones out and was listening on my tablet speaker and she started kicking--"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, can you sign this really quick?" Vanessa said, appearing behind Carswell. She looked irritated and Cress thought for one second she was still upset about the donuts, but as soon as Carswell handed her back the tablet, she grinned and turned back toward her desk.

"So, lunch?" Carswell asked with a grin, draping an arm around her shoulders as they started down into the lobby.

"Ugh, yes, I'm starving."

"You should have had a second donut."

"I was going to but my stomach's been kinda weird and I didn't want to make myself sick."

"Yeah, don't do that. Do you want to skip lunch?"

Cress shook her head. "No, I'm hungry. I just didn't want two donuts."

Carswell nodded. Thankfully the office building had a fairly decent food court so he and Cress sat down to some sub sandwiches. Not the most cozy meal for a rainy day, but it hit the spot.