Chapter Nine: The Bakery

"Notebook?"

"Check."

"Stories?"

"Straight."

"Snacks?"

"Eaten."

"Gre--" Tommy started and then frowned, turning around. "Tubbo did you eat the snacks already?" He asked, looking over his friend as they packed their backpacks for the day. The plan was, that they were going to venture out into the town of L'Manburg, and investigate as many civilians as possible. As wide spread and odd as the plan sounded, it would at least give them a sense of who's who in the town, and who to keep their eyes on as possible murder suspects.

Since they'd gone over this plan with the Watsons, they'd started compiling a list of things they'd need for a 'proper' interrogation of the town ("we're like Nancy Drew!" Tommy had said). This list included the staples, such as notebooks and pens, voice recorders on their phones, and as Tommy had insisted, snacks.

However it seemed as though they were unprepared in one of those aspects.

"...No," Tubbo answered his question after a moment and shook his head. "Well, maybe. But it's fine, we have more," He said, and put another small pack of gummy worms inside of his bag. Tommy rolled his eyes, clapping his hands together as he looked down into his inventory.

"Alright! Now, all we have to do is catch a killer!" He said, seemingly almost alarmingly excited. He swung a strap over his shoulder and looked around the room. Maybe he'd forgotten something, though he wasn't sure what that something could be.

There came a crackling sound, like a radio trying to collect signal. Over the past couple of hours, both boys had gotten used to the unusual sound. "Now all you have to do is find evidence that there even is a killer," Techno corrected.

Outside of the boys' sight, he swirled around the spirit box, arms crossed over his chest. He didn't really like how sure these two were that his family's death had been something someone had hoped for. "We still don't know that that's one hundred percent."

"We're pretty sure," Tubbo said as he double checked all his materials. "I mean, it makes sense, yeah? None of you did anything wrong, and there was no big storm or weird weather patterns--you said so yourselves," He said and looked to the box. "So, it must have not been an accident."

Wilbur's head popped up from underneath the ground, watching Tubbo with interest. "You sound so sure about that," he said. "Makes me wonder."

Tommy snorted and turned around, placing his hands on his hips. "Wonder what, Wil? We all know it's probably gonna be some crusty old real estate manager or something--it always is! I see it all the time on Scooby-Doo."

Tubbo agreed and laughed about this point with Tommy, while on another plane of existence Techno turned to his brother situated in the floorboards. "We're doomed," he said.

Tommy spun around to look at the spirit box. "Oi! I heard that!" He said and turned his head away from it as a dismissive tactic. This reaction earned a chuckle from Phil from the box.

"Regardless of your prior, erm...training, be safe. And try not to scare all of our friends to death?" He suggested.

With an eyeroll and a sarcastic salute, Tommy nodded his head. "Aye aye Ghostie," he said and looked to the door. "We won't send anyone your way."

"Yeah, no one's gonna die!" Tubbo said with a wide smile that was meant to be reassuring, but really seemed concerning.

Tommy laughed somewhat nervously, or rather confused, at the sentence. "Jesus Tubbo--no one's gonna die. Calm yourself."