Chapter 39

"You need to understand Ritwik, this is not the time to argue." Pratima ji said from the other end of the phone.
Ritwik kept the phone on speaker while carefully placing an unconscious Teressa on the passenger seat.
"Why?" He replied through gritted teeth, his eyes fixed on Teressa's face.
"I would have explained only if this was the right time. It's really kind of you to go and check on her but trust me she is urgently needed here." Pratima ji said sincerely.
"And what if she becomes more upset? Will you take the responsibility?" He whispered menacingly.
To this Pratima ji smiled and said,

"Trust me, we did and we will take her responsibility no matter what. But I am finding it good to see you bothering about her."

This made him remember how he dedicated almost his whole life in hating her.. or so he thought.

"I don't!" He replied coldly then opened the door to the driver's seat and started the car.
"I am bringing her there, then do whatever you want to do with your so called "responsibility"." He disconnected the call on her face.

¤¤¤¤¤

"The injection is not working Pratima ji. He is continously blabbering  and apologizing to Teressa." Manik said looking at the floor. He was sitting on one of the couches inside the waiting area with Pratima ji sitting right beside him. The frown on his face made it clear that whatever was happening he wasn't liking it.
"Apologizing you said?" Pratima ji asked looking equally confused.
"Yes. Did he hurt her somehow? If not then why would he apologize to her. What the hell has happened when I was not here?" He held his head in both of his hand as his elbows rested on his knees.

"At least you should not think like this Manik. He treats her like a princess if not anything. I have always been there. It is impossible for him to hurt her. He would rather hurt himself than her." She said defending Dev.

Manik slowly straightened himself and turned his face to look at Pratima ji.

"That is even more unexpected Pratima ji." He paused and asked narrowing his eyes, as if to himself, 

"Why would he do so?"

This took Pratima ji off guard. She knew that she could never keep it hidden from Manik. He will get to know it today or tomorrow. She took a deep breath and said,
"If I am not delusional then your brother.... he is in love with her."

Manik's clenched his eyes. As if he didn't want to believe his own ears. However Pratima ji continued.

"You know him well, he and his self destructive behaviour, his intolerance towards every tiny matter, his stubbornness or his rudeness, these have become his character traits by now." Manik kept on looking at the floor being expressionless.

"But he is totally different infront of Teressa. And somehow she is capable of keeping him away from all of these.. she is able to keep him sane." Said Pratima ji.

Suddenly he lost his focus from everything. The only thing kept lingering in his mind was..

"she is able to keep him sane...."

The statement kept echoing inside Manik's mind. He gripped the edge of the couch as tightly as possible.

Keeping Daivik Raj Nagpati "sane" was impossible for anyone. If she was capable of doing that then Manik feared how much important had she become to him?

His breathing became heavier. He ran his other hand over his face and closed his eyes.

¤¤¤¤¤

"Umm.. h-have we met before?" Teressa asked hesitantly.

She woke up a few minutes back to find  herself sitting beside this man, wearing a black leather jacket over a brown sweater, some shredded blue jean and a cold, arrogant face.

It took her a little time to get comfortable inside a stranger's car. Yes, because somehow when she woke up she knew that the man who was driving the car was not Dev but his lookalike.

What bothered her more was the pair of grey orbs. She was sure that she had seen them somewhere and the thought kept disturbing her.

Instead of answering the man thought better to concentrate on driving.
"W-will you please tell me who are you a-and where are you taking me to?"

But to her dismay she was again treated with the same silence.

Now she was loosing it. She was already worried about Dev and everything around her. On top of that this man kept ignoring her which was infuriating. So she did what she should have done at the very beginning. She shouted on the grey eyed, shit-head.

"STOP THE CAR.. RIGHT NOW!"

This startled him as he finally thought of turning his face to face her. He raised his eyebrows and cocked his head as if to say 'what the fuck'.
But his expression changed the very moment he darted his eyes on her.

She was angry but sad at the same time and seemed so helpless that that made him uncomfortable. Her eyes were filled with tears. Her panting showed how desperate she was.

"Not Dev, his brother this is.. Ritwik Raj Nagpati here." His words were soft and he felt her relaxing a little bit.
"I-I didn't know he had a twin brother." She stated while fidgeting with her fingers.
"However, may I know where are you taking me?" She asked sincerely.

"Your presence is requested at the Hospital Ms. Brown." He said sternly while looking back at the road.
"Do you still want to get down?" He added as coldly as possible.

"No!.. S-Sorry, take me there, please." She said immediately.
He smirked and looked at her from the corner of his eyes and kept driving.

¤¤¤¤¤
"She is on the way. Try and keep him in control for a few more minutes please." Pratima ji requested the nurse.
Manik snapped his head towards Pratima ji.
"What!? You informed her!?"  He shouted at her.
She nodded in answer.

"Why would you do that? She is too sensitive, damn Pratima ji. You should've asked me before taking such a decision." He snapped at her.

She kept quiet. She knew that Manik wouldn't like this but she had to help Dev.

"Will you please come inside sir?" A nurse shouted from inside the cabin of Dev.
"He is again doing the same thing." She cried again.

Manik turned towards the cabin when a small but trembling voice echoed through the lawn and he froze.

"Pratima ji?.. " Triss's nervous voice called out.