Chapter 17

Triss entered the room. It was a little awkward for her as to what happened to the other candidates because there was absolutely no one in there but she shunned that thought out of her mind. She should be concerned about her own interview.

She was standing in front of the door and looking around this impossibly huge but beautiful office room. It obviously had a huge ceiling and big windows but none of them were visible due to the blinds that covered those up. The small but pretty chandelier was mesmerizing. At the very center of the room was a huge mahogany table and behind it was a huge king like chair with leather finishing. On the table, there was a laptop,  few files, a wooden pen stand with some expensive pens in it, a golden table watch and a glass of water. There was a flat screen TV fixed on the wall beside me and opposite to the table. On the sides there were few couches. The wall was filled with some classical paintings. She was devouring the beauty of the room when his voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

“Uhm..sit here, Ms. Brown.” She looked at him and took a sit in front of him, and said “good morning, Mr. Nagpati.” He did not look at her as he said coldly, “your documents..” Immediately Teressa handed him the file she was carrying with her. He started going through the documents, “have you had any experience in teaching children before?” She knew she didn’t, she was feeling nervous however she said, “no sir.” Now he lifted his face and looked at her. “ You have good grades, you are graduate if not anything, why didn’t you try somewhere else before?” He continued looking at her as if he wanted to know her situation from her mouth only. “Situations were not in my favor, sir. But as I have got one opportunity at least, see I did come. There has to be a first. Otherwise how would someone get to get any experience ever?” She said without hesitating. Her smile was professional but kind. “We have other teachers with a proper training, as you don’t have any, can you tell me why you should be selected as a pre-school teacher?” His eyes were filling up with a different kind of emotion, or was it amusement?

“ I cannot say the obvious that I like teaching, although I do. I have taught few toddlers back in Kolkata. I know  what they want, I can relate to them. Teaching a small child is difficult than teaching the school going  children. They have mood swings, that too very frequently. I have an ability to assess that. I know I can relate to them and make them feel comfortable so that they get to enjoy knowing new things everyday. It’s all about the wavelength. I believe I can make them understand things through the way they get to understand things easily.” She did not even realize that she was smiling all the while, neither did she see that the man sitting in front her was drowning into her.

“Ok. Go downstairs and request Pratima ji to introduce you to the kids and the teachers. Martha Gill is our Headmistress. You'll get your appointment order via email.” His voice was back to being cold and he was looking at his files again. “ Uhm.. h-have I got s-selected?” Surprise was obvious in her voice. “ We do not provide appointment orders to random people Ms. Brown. You are one of our staffs now.” He finally lifted his head as he said with that emotionless voice of his, “anything else?” Teressa was feeling weird,  this man was rude like hell, but was professional enough and that should be enough for her. “No sir, thanks a lot.” She said as she stood up. She got out of her chair and walked towards the door she was about to open  it when the husky voice came again in whisper from the very behind of her. “When the office time is over I am ‘Dev’ to you. Don’t make me repeat it again.” His voice made her throat go dry, she could feel his breath on her shoulder. She didn’t turn around as she was too nervous to do anything, however she nodded and left the office immediately.

Triss:

“What is wrong with this man? Sometimes he is way too professional and sometimes way too personal? I don’t understand him.” I was talking to Pratima ji who was taking me to ‘Mountain Rainbow’. She smiled at me and said, “yes that he is. Even after these many years I find him unpredictable. His mood changes. But don’t worry he won’t bite!” She said while laughing and I joined her.

Finally we were inside it and boy was it cute and bright to every corner. It was filled with lots of kids who were waiting for their parents, running and playing around here and there. The inside totally justified its name, the walls were painted in rainbow colors with stars, flowers, and so many cartoon animals. I was ecstatic. I passed few of the tiny desks and cozy classrooms. Finally I was standing in front of another huge wooden door.
Pratima ji knocked on the door lightly and a reserved voice said “Come in". We opened the door, Pratima ji entered and then I was called inside. To my surprise the lady sitting on the other end was really pretty and seemed quite young. Her eyes held an authoritarian look and she seemed equally surprised. “Good Morning Headmistress, I was asked to bring you your new teacher. This is Teressa Brown.” Pratima ji placed every word flawlessly.  “And who told you I need a new teacher Pratima ji?” asked the Headmistress looking directly at Pratima ji and sparing me no glance at all. Her expression was easy to understand. It said ‘take her out of my sight!’ I was feeling totally unwelcome here. “ She has been interviewed by Mr. Nagpati himself ma’am.”  The very moment Pratima ji's sentence ended the Headmistress’ eyes fell on me for the first time, she checked me from head to toe and her eyebrows narrowed as she said “I see. Welcome then Miss.. what was it again?” And this made me speak for the first time. “Teressa Brwon it is and thank you for welcoming me.” Pratima ji didn’t waste even a millisecond to turn around before saying “she will be joining from tomorrow as of now we are taking your leave ma'am. Have a very nice day ahead.” I didn’t understand but this woman seemed unhappy about my presence for some reasons but I had nothing to do with it so I ignored and moved out of the chamber.

When we came out most of the students had left already. At the very corner of the waiting area there was a tiny blue and yellow colored bench where  a small thing was sitting and looking far at the fountain. This seemed awkward because the other kids were playing around the whole area but he seemed totally untouched by everything. This didn’t go with a child that well. Pratima ji found me looking at him. If I said that he was pretty that surely would be an understatement because he was way more than just pretty.  His hair resembled mine, the same unmanageable curls while mine was below waist length his stopped below his ears. Surprisingly enough he too had a pair of husky eyes. I couldn’t take my eyes off him. When I was about to move towards him someone held me back with my arms.