Chapter 18

Triss:

“Is there anything wrong Pratima ji?” I asked the person who held me back. She looked at me with an unknown expression. “Umm.. Teressa, please don’t misunderstand me but it would be better if you don’t approach Nilesh. He is a little disturbed.” Her words confused me. A small child of his age, what did he know about being disturbed? It was hard to believe.

“What kind of a disturbance are you talking about? He is just a small kid.” I didn’t want to place my words like this but me and my mouth were totally out of my control. “You are right, but he is. He has lost his mother few months back.” I felt a weird pain inside me as she continued. “ His father was abusive, he was drunk and they got into a fight in front of him. He accidentally hit her on her head with his bottle and she died on spot. The kid witnessed everything and is still going through a severe trauma. His father was taken by the police.” I didn’t even realize when tears started to trail down my cheeks.

This was unfair. He was just an innocent soul. Why did he need to go through this. It was unbelievable. My hand cupped my mouth as I looked back at him. He was still looking at the fountain with blank eyes. I was trying hard not to cry. “Who does he live with?” That was the only concern I was having at that time. This poor soul. What did he do to deserve this? “ He lives with his grandmother, she is old enough though.” I couldn’t stand there anymore I started walking out of the waiting area and soon I was standing in front of the way towards the main gate. I was panting as I said, “by what time do I need to arrive tomorrow Pratima ji?” I could not look at her. I was embarrassed of how I behaved inside. “The class starts by 6.30AM, you should be here by 6 AM.” She said as I nod. “ Then I should leave now. Thank you very much for everything.” I smiled and  was about to leave when she spoke again. “ You do not need to go out to get a ride. You’ll be given rides back to your home and also please get ready by 5.30 AM tomorrow, our driver will be there to pick you up.”

This was not there in the discussion. It confused me as I said “ it is totally not necessary, trust me I can arrange the rides myself.” She gave a stubborn look and said “it’s Dev's order Teressa . I cannot even in my dreams go against it. Please accept it.” I didn’t understand why but it was smelling of unfairness. However I didn’t argue and got into one of the cars.

Aunt's place

“We knew you would get it.” They both shouted together. “ Okay ladies. Now what about the shop?” I was genuinely worried. It seemed a little selfish to me that I was moving on leaving all these behind. “Do not worry about it. I will manage the shop for the coming two days.” Julian aunty said patting my back lightly. “ But what about the next days?” This was an obvious question. How come they were thinking about two days only. Suddenly my aunt spoke up, “ Mr. Nagpati called me up today. He will be coming tomorrow for the official agreement thing. He wants to extend the shop and turn it into a café. He doesn’t want to waste time at all and wants to start the renovation from day after tomorrow.”

I was sitting on the bed. I was in my Pjs. The whole thing seemed so impossible to me. How was this even happening. One week, only one week and everything changed. Manik was out of the country, my aunt’s café was going be renovated by her new partner and I have suddenly got a job in a school. When I thought harder, the only connection I could think about was leading me to the most infamous man, Daivik Raj Nagpati. What was he playing at?

Nagpati Mansion

Triss:

The gate opened with that all know eerie sound but for unknown reasons I like it this way. I did not wake any one up back at aunt’s place. I made a little breakfast for the two pretty things there and left it on aunt’s bedside table. I wore a white top underneath a yellow sweater with a blue dhoti pant and pulled my curls into a bun, although I failed to do anything with the tiny curls popping out from here and there. I had no troubles at all as the car was already waiting outside my aunt’s place.

I got out of the car, I was ten minutes early. I decided to give myself small tour. I was walking randomly according to the mansion’s geometrical structure and almost fell on my mouth when I saw a bare bodied beautifully muscled man working out with small sweat drops spread across his body. He was only in his track pants. I could see his t-shirt hanging on one of the railing which seemed too wet to wear. I didn’t really realize how long I kept looking as the words came from the other end as daggers, “having fun there?” Oh. My. God. What was wrong with me? “ I-I.. “ Wow I failed to say anything and before it could get even more embarrassing I closed my eyes turned around and started walking when the voice came again. “ Good morning Teressa.” I didn’t turn around because I was beet red but I tried to say, “good morning Mr…” and suddenly my words were cut in the middle as his annoyed voice vibrated through every corner. I was scared as I had never heard someone shouting like this on me ever in my life.
“Did I not say it clearly enough that I would not like to repeat it again!” It took me few seconds to process what he was trying to say. And then the realization hit me. I turned around and looked directly at him, “ you shouted like this because I did not call you ‘Dev'?" I was totally shocked. "Mr. Nagpati, let me make it clear to you. You cannot force me to call you something, I need to feel like doing the same. If I ever feel like calling you with that name I will. Right now I do not feel like it. And please get a grip on your temper, you frighten your own staffs.” I could guarantee that he was surprised or rather shocked. Probably because he was not used to with getting counter attacks. I was about to turn around as he said again “ and you..?” I stopped and looked back at him. “You are not frightened of me?” Now he was slowly coming towards me. His eyes were piercing holes in my eyes as he was not even blinking . As if he has taken an unannounced challenge.  I tried hard to keep myself composed although I was almost about to pee on spot. I coughed a bit an looked him in the eyes “no! You do not frighten me Mr. Nagpati, if anything I respect you for what you have done to help me and my family lately. I am grateful to you and to Manik. I shouldn’t have shown this audacity but this was not a behavior I was expecting from Daivik Raj Nagpati.” Now his eyes showed a hint of disbelief although that was immediately replaced by its usual  blankness. 

“ This is what everyone expects from me Ms. Brown, you are day dreaming. No one respects me for what I am, their respect comes out of fear and nothing else. And if you respect me without being frightened then I would say that’s a first.” He turned around suddenly. Although I shouldn’t but it hurt me a little when he called me ‘Ms. Brown’ all of a sudden. “ You may leave now. You are five minutes late for your first day.” Oh god! I totally forgot about my first day at Mountain Rainbow. I immediately turn around and head out of that place. Although I didn’t want to. Something was pulling me hard. That smell, this man. There was something mysterious about him. Something that was attracting me towards this blank faced, arrogant of a man.