Chapter 28

My teeth chatter uncontrollably as thin snowflakes seep into the top of my black beanie. Next to me, Zack is utterly unaffected, instead staring at me like I'm the crazy one for being cold in freezing weather.

Shivering, I kick at a dirty patch of ice like a soccer ball.

"Shit!" I curse as my toe cries out in pain. As I stare at the traitorous patch of ice, it becomes clear that it was not just ice but an icy rock.

"Nice," Zack says. "Here, let me see-"

"Hi Daniel's sister!" A shrill voice comes from a girl popping her head out of a car window. I let go of my foot.

I force my lips up in response as Daniel steps out, shaking his hair out of his face. In one hand, he holds a duffel bag and in the other is a winter coat. Maybe I'm imagining it but he's even taller than the last time I saw him, mere inches shorter than Zack. By the time he's our age, he'll probably be taller.

As he approaches, I contemplate what to say. We've never been close and we've definitely never hung out alone.

I settle on, "Hi." Awkwardly, I reach for a hug. His shoulders are so wide, I have to stretch my arms out. "How was your drive?"

"I slept most of the way," he says. "Hey, Zack."

"Hey, man. Let me grab that for you," Zack says and Daniel hands his bag to him immediately. "How was the season?"

"Shit compared to when you were around. You and Brown, man. That was legendary."

Zack surveys him, obviously enjoying the ego boost. "I appreciate that," he says.

I roll my eyes, realizing I've set myself up for a day with the two most egotistical people I know.

"Did you eat yet?" I ask and Daniel shakes his head. "Do you wanna check out our cafeteria or grab something off-campus?"

"Off-campus," he says. "I'll pay for us. Mom gave me money for the trip."

A/N: this was short so there's a double update