Chapter 50

When we meet, both of us are wearing huge puffy jackets and black beanies. The sight makes us crack up as we start our trek to a nearby cafe.

I tell her about the writing contest I entered the previous weekend and she talks to me about a new girl she's seeing.

"If everything goes well, maybe she can take my place in the apartment," I suggest as we cut into our sandwiches.

My breakup with Zack has meant trying to find someone to replace me in our apartment for next year while also searching for a place for myself. It sucks but I would've probably moved out anyway because I would hate to live with Marcus.

"Are you sure you wanna live somewhere else?" Mia asks. "They're separate rooms."

"I'm sure," I say. "There are a couple other places I've been looking at so don't worry."

"Well, let me know if you need any help."

I give her a grateful smile as she sips on her coke. As she drinks, her eyes focus on me.

"You know you're my best friend, right, Amelia?" she asks. "You can tell me anything. It's just... You haven't talked to anyone about the breakup. I thought maybe you just didn't care but after today..."

The food turns into glue in my mouth. I swallow.

"I won't force you if you don't want to talk about it but if you do, I'm here for you," she says.

I sip on my water, wondering if I want to open up all those memories. If I start talking, I don't know if I'll be able to stop.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone. If word gets back to Zack..."

"I won't," she says. "I promise."

I nod. Finally taking a breath, I say, "Marcus kissed me."

Her eyes widen immediately but she lets me continue.

"I didn't want to kiss him but he wouldn't get off me. I didn't want to tell Zack because their family's finally together now and... I mean, it was just a kiss. But I couldn't lie to him like that so... I broke up with him."

She blinks slowly. "That makes sense," she says.

"It does?" I ask because even to me, it hasn't really.

"I mean, it didn't seem like you guys were having problems. But when did this all happen? When did Marcus kiss you?"

"When Zack was gone after winter break."

"That's not okay," she says. "Don't we need to do something? I mean, he kissed you but what if he tried something more?"

I shake my head. "What is there to do? I can't report him just for kissing me..." A thought suddenly startles me. "Did he ever do anything to you?"

"No," she says, sitting back. "Still, I can't believe him. You're his cousin's girlfriend, for fuck's sake. And now you guys are the ones paying for it!"

I stir my straw. "I made my choice," I say. "I knew it would hurt but... it'll stop eventually." I look down at my food. "One day, he'll be over me."

"That's not fair," she says. "You still love him and he..." Her voice trails off.

"He what?" I ask.

"Nothing."

"Mia," I insist.

She looks at me. "He locked himself in his room for three days, Amelia."

My chest sinks and I press my hands into my temples, covering my eyes.

"Look, if it was another reason besides Marcus fucking things up, I wouldn't say anything but... Can't you guys work things out?" she asks.

"I do miss him a lot," I say. "But I honestly think this will hurt the least in the end."

"I'm sorry," she says, holding my hand.

I laugh a little. "Don't be."

"You know, my birthday trip's coming up. Zack won't be there and Marcus sure as hell won't be now. It could be a good opportunity to get away from everything," she suggests.

"You said it was next Friday?" I ask and she nods. "I'm sorry. I have work."

She pouts. "That sucks."

I rack my brain, trying to think of people I can ask to cover my shift. "We're pretty understaffed so I don't think I can get it covered."

"It's okay."

I put my hand over hers. "But, hey, as soon as I get my paycheck, I'll buy you the sweetest, most colorful cake the world has ever seen."

She grins. "I'm taking you up on that."

"Anything for you," I say.

Mia gives me a cheeky smile and when I return to my sandwich, my heart feels a little lighter.