Evergrowing Love

Third person's POV:

Anisa huffed.

She did not like this. Why was it that all the girls at school only liked the one guy she ever loved? Her eyes ran back from the ground to Ali, her frown still on her face. "I know you don't want me to go through this, but all this is frustrating. Am I going to spend the rest of the year like this?"—was what she wanted to say. But the sincere look on Ali's face didn't let her.

She didn't want him to feel under pressure that he was the reason behind what was happening. Instead, Anisa just sighed.

"I'm hungry." she finally said, breaking the two-minute silence. Ali, instead of suggesting to go to the cafeteria or something, asked something completely different. "Are you okay, Anisa?" he looked genuinely concerned. At that, Anisa couldn't hold herself back.

Her heart fastened its pace and she felt her stomach flip. It was amazing how a little gesture from Ali could do that to her. She smiled at him. "Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"You went to the nurse's office. I wanted to come after you but the teacher didn't let me. When the class ended, I came out looking for you." he explained quickly. Anisa chuckled at that. "I said that I needed to go to the nurse's office. Didn't you check there?"

He shook his head, a little sheepishly. "I didn't know you were actually going there. I thought it was just an excuse to get out of class." then he paused and looked like he had to say more. A little tint of pink appeared on his cheek that was almost invisible on his slightly tanned skin.

"I was looking for you in the garden. You usually went there. But I couldn't find you there either." he finished. Anisa's eyes widened. "How did you know that?" she was surprised that Ali would know that she liked to roam around the garden. The last time she went there was before her marriage so it was a shock.

Ali rubbed the back of his head. "I just saw you going there a couple of times." he looked embarrassed as if it was something he didn't want to tell her maybe because he thought she would guess he used to stalk her even before they got married. And that wasn't something to be proud of.

Anisa smiled at him, making his heart skip a beat. He couldn't strip his gaze away from her innocent face. Especially when her round eyes glistened with such affection. "I'm fine, Alhamdulillah. Just annoyed. I'm fine now, now that you're here..." she trailed off when she said the last part as it wasn't that easy for her to address her feelings so casually like that yet. Her flushed, red face moved something inside Ali and he had to fight the urge to kiss her again.

"I love you, Anisa." he knew he had said it before but at that moment, it was like he had to say it again. Anisa blushed harder. "Me too."

Ali pouted. "You're supposed to say I love you back. It's a rule." he joked. Anisa started walking as if trying to avoid her embarrassment, her back facing him. "I love you too." she rushed over her words, not wanting to look at Ali's reaction because she knew he would tease her for it.

"Where are you going?" he asked. Anisa did not stop walking. "To the cafeteria. I'm hungry," she told him. He started following her and when he was walking by her side, he took her hand and stopped her. By now, they were standing in a relatively quieter and isolated corner of the corridor, away from the stares of all the students that were passing by.

A small ceiling light, a few feet away was the only thing that provided them enough light to make out each other's faces. Anisa looked a little confused but she understood when she saw Ali looking at her so intently. "Weren't we going to the cafeteria?" she asked, despite knowing why he had stopped the both of them. He nodded once.