Jealousy Strike One!

Anisa's POV:

The room was silent.

Ali stood in front of the mirror, wearing his black Shalwar Kameez with sleeves folded to his elbows. He brushed his silky hair and pulled his bangs back. I tried to avoid looking at him, but I couldn't ignore him. There was a moment of interaction between us when I walked over to the mirror to tie my hair.

"I'm not done yet." Ali said, not looking at me. He was scowling at his own reflection in the mirror and I could sense the dark aura from him. "You've been brushing your hair for the past ten minutes." I told him. "They're going to fall off if you brush them any longer."

He did not enjoy the little joke I made when he shot me a glare. "I told you; I'm not done yet." he said and started brushing again. Even though I was feeling a bit intimidated by him, because honestly I had never seen him so angry, I picked up some courage and started talking.

"If you're angry about something else, don't take it out on me." my tone was soft. I didn't want him to refuse going to the dinner at the last minute so I tried to sound gentle. His scowl deepened but he didn't look at me.

"I'm not angry about something else." he said.

"Is it because of something I did then?" I inquired, genuinely concerned. He paused for a minute but then shook his head. "No."

I sighed. "Then stop talking like that. You were so rude to Usman back there and I felt really embarrassed." at that, he stopped his hands and put the brush on the dresser and looked at me. His eyes glowed red and I could see that he had turned red as well.

I gulped.

"If you're so worried about Usman then you can go to the dinner with him. Heck, you can go marry him too. I don't give a sh*t about what he thinks." he exploded, making me take a step back.

Things were finally making sense and the pieces were starting to fit the puzzle. I didn't want to get my hopes high or anything but it felt like...like… Ali was jealous.
At that moment, I didn't know what to do. If I didn't assure him, he might refuse to go to the dinner and if I did, I had no clue how to do it. Was there even something between us that he would get jealous? Uptil then, I was taking this marriage thing just a contract between our fathers. But if Ali was jealous, what did I mean to him to assure him or console him?

"I can't go with Usman and neither can I marry him." I finally spoke up. "Because, right now, you're my husband. Not him." I felt a bit nervous as I said that. It was the first time I had emphasized on our relationship.
My words seemed to hit Ali like a bullet and he looked up at me. The tint of blush on his cheeks didn't escape me and I bit my lip.

Oh Allah! That was hard.

"You say that but at the same time you laugh and open up to him like he's a long lost friend of yours or something." Ali sulked as he said that. The look on his face made my heart skip a beat.

He looked so cute!

I shook my thoughts out of the gutter and cleared my throat.
"I wouldn't have if someone wouldn't have left me alone in the house with him. I couldn't tell him to go away. And besides, he really is a nice guy." I turned the tables on him and he just huffed. "Of course he's a nice guy. You'll like any person who's not me."

Suddenly, he froze. He looked like he regretted saying that. To divert my attention, he picked up the brush and handed it to me.
"Here you can have it. I'm waiting for you in the car. Don't be late."

And he ran away. Like literally. For a while, I was stunned and I didn't know how to react. But slowly, a smile spread on my face and I started laughing. So much that tears collected at the brim of my eyes and I clutched my stomach.